Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Shutter wont stay open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 Shutter wont stay open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Draga
Tinkerer
Username: Draga

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AE-1 and I took it on a trip and when i went to use it it wouldnt take. so i tried to see what the problem is and it turned out that the shutter on the inside wotn open and I dont know what to do. Can someone help me? is it the shutter or is something else wrong?

Draga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone help me?

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried a new, fresh battery ?

Draga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was the first thing i checked i got a new battery and it didnt work i even tested the battery in a differnt camera and it worked fine. The shutter should be open but instead its closed. can you post pictures on this website if you can i can show you the shutter.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 98

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for clarification; you wound on film and when you pressed shutter release - nothing - Right? Wind on is now locked - Yes?

This could be due to the release button contacts, but is more likely to be due to the magnetic 'switches' in base of camera. Over time the pole piece, which has to move away from the electro/permanent magnet, get contaminated with oils/greases and thus sticks to the magnets.

Look up Canon A Series release magnets in the archive, so you can see what is involved in cleaning these 'switches'. Although a fairly simple job if you know what is involved, the repair will not be costly if you take it to a good repairman. I would also suggest that the camera could do with a proper service. It really depends on how much you value your FD kit - if you only have a camera and standard lens then your cheapest option would be to replace it with one of the many Pentax K mount clones that are available. Here in the UK, the discontinued Centon range is very cheap - with a good lens equal to the AE-1. Cost of replacement is far cheaper than a full CLA.

Draga
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant seem to find any articles on it. Do you know when it was posted or by who? That would help. I have other lenses for this camera. Three others two intermidiate range and one long. I take pitures of nature and mountains alot so.

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In all probability it just needs the curtain travel time adjusted. You could start by increaseing tension on the opening curtain spring until you see a slit. Eyeball it to get the slit even across the film gate.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Draga,
Enter 'release magnet cleaning' in the search box at top of form. You want the entries in 2005 archive - one thread is under A1 and another under AE-1.

Do not start altering the blind roller tension. This hardly ever needs adjusting, even on well used A Series cameras, and should only be carried out when all other factors have been checked.

If you are not used to delving into the insides of the A series cameras, you might want to look at a repair manual first. I have not found a free copy of the AE-1 repair manual on the Internet, however a copy of the AE-1P is available from www.canonfd.com. This will show you where the 'magnets' are situated and what they look like. Cleaning requires the careful removal of any plastic cover present and the cleaning of the mating faces with naphtha/Ronsonol. The cover can be cut off with an Xacto knife and solvent soaked strips of filter/blotting paper used to removed the contamination.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 38

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you replace the plastic, or do you not have to ?

Cleaning requires the careful removal of any plastic cover present and the cleaning of the mating faces with naphtha/Ronsonol. The cover can be cut off with an Xacto knife and solvent soaked strips of filter/blotting paper used to removed the contamination.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 106

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The covers are not really necessary, I have a couple of well used A1s completely devoid of them. They can be secured by adhesive tape or a dab of the gel type 'super glue' to give a proper repair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration