Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super meter - success story Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax ME Super meter - success story « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Duncan
Tinkerer
Username: Duncan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was about to start a thread asking about for advice on an ME Super's light meter that was wouldn't turn off, so that it ran down the batteries continuously.

But poking around the site, I found the "Pentax ME Ramblings" here:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/pentaxmeramblings.html

... which helped enough with disassembly to get me to the point where I could (apparently) fix the problem myself!

In a nutshell, once you've got the top panel off, you find that the bottom of the shutter release button is actually the head of a Philips screw. In my case, it had been adjusted in a way that made it think you were always holding down the button partway.

I turned it clockwise about a half turn, put the top back on, found the problem wasn't cured; went another half turn, and voila. I don't know how it got like that in the first place; maybe somebody had done it in a previous repair for something unrelated. It had come to me "as-is" because of the battery problem. Great deal for me. :-)

So this is a thanks to the person who put together the instructions and all the nice pictures of disassembly. Without that I'd almost certainly have made a mess of things.

Time to load 'er up with film.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe there are some production variants but I have never seen the underside of an ME Super shutter release button as a Phillips head screw.

The underside is a free-floating brass "top-hat".
It is so to facilitate the use of a cable-release.

I suspect that the brass top-hat dropped out and was lost by some previous tinkerer when removing the top-plate - and he replaced it with a screw.

The adjustment of that screw to achieve your stated fix, tells me that your camera will no longer work with a cable-release.

Duncan
Tinkerer
Username: Duncan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good information, thanks. I can easily believe someone tinkered up a button arrangement that "almost" worked. Guess I won't be using a cable with that camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration