Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MPP Microcord Film Advance Problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » MPP Microcord Film Advance Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glyn_coburngee
Tinkerer
Username: Glyn_coburngee

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Thank heavens for this website!
I was wondering if someone may be able to help me.
I recently bought an 'MPP Microcord', which has body no.2484, and xpres lens number 61244, I beleive it to be a late Mk 1 with the earlier shutter.
The problem I am having is that the film advance winder will not engage the counter. It is possible to just wind the film on and use the red window in the bottom but I find this less than practical, especially when using a tripod.
I have looked at the MPP Users web site but can find no suitable information.
Please can anyone help me.
Kindest regards to all.
Glyn

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 108

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that the lens and body serials would indicate an early Mk1. As you will have found from the Users site, these tended to have film advance mechanisms that were/are prone to faults. The Epsilon shutter is not too great a performer either. The Ross Xpres is another matter, easily out performing the Xenar on the Rolleicord 111, when used at larger apertures.

My late father's Mk1 packed up very early in it's life. It was exchanged for a Prontor SVS Mk11, which is still going strong in my Brother's ownership.

I cannot offer any advice on how to remedy the fault. Whilst other MPP users may give different advice, I would advise leaving well alone and use as is.

Glyn_coburngee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn
Yes I did see the site with regard to the earlier shutter being a problem, thankfully at the moment this one seems to be okay at all speeds but as said previously it has the inherant wind on problem. I did see something somewhere about it, but can I find it !!!!
Glad the later one works well in the hands of your brother.
I have just bought a Prinz TLR but yet to get it so yet another toy.
Many thanks.

Rogprov
Tinkerer
Username: Rogprov

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I can't help but have you thought of joining the MPP club? It's very cheap and the quarterly "Gazette" is a well produced informative magazine well worth the subscription. If you described your problem in the magazine you'd probably get lots of help.

Roger

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never been fortunate enough to procure a Microcord but I remember its launch like it was yesterday. It is a British copy of the Rolleicord but whether a precise clone, I cannot say.
Regardless there will be a spring-loaded claw which engages on the toothed edge of the counter wheel. If the spring has failed or is in some way deformed, the claw would not work and your described issue would pertain. Not rocket science to fix, though.

Glyn_coburngee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rogprov -Yes I have the forms sitting on my desk as we speak, just waiting for me to fill them in, I think that the Mpp club will be most helpful once I am a member.
Ethostech - Thanks for your wisdom, I took it apart this evening, after looking at a copy of a Rollei Service and repair parts manual I managed to get from the web. Hey presto we seem to have sorted the problem out. You are right about the claw function, but I think that a gentle prying of parts and a bit of gentle TLC with a cotton bud and some light gun oil seems to have done the trick. I had thought about going a little deeper into the camera but as the saying goes, until its broke dont fix it.

Many thanks guys.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration