Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Non-working Canon T60 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Non-working Canon T60 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jcfn
Tinkerer
Username: Jcfn

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a non-working Canon T60 (aperture-priority and manual exposure) which was made by Cosina and has a reputation of poor reliability. The symptoms are as follows. The mirror is locked up. The film advance lever is wound on and pressing the shutter release button does not trip the shutter. The light meter gives no reading when pressing the shutter release button (new batteries installed). Changing the setting on the shutter speed dial (including "A") does not make any difference. There is no sign of any external damage. Has anyone heard about what typical reasons are for their failures (eg bad capacitor)? These could be pointers for me. One thing I tried was to reset the gearing (for want of a better description) under the bottom plate which enabled me to wind on the film advance lever but again the mirror remained locked up, no shutter release possible and no meter reading. I have some experience of dismantling cameras (SRT303, SR1) and lenses and have already managed to remove the top cover of the T60. I have check the archives and google but repair info on the T60 is thin on the ground. My apologies for asking questions on such a non-classic camera but I can not think of a more knowledgeable group for repair advice!

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The T60 is a member of the family of Cosina OEM designs that includes the Nikon FM10. You can obtain a service manual for the FM10 that will help you with the mechanicals of all of these cameras. Note that the T60 meter will not activate unless the shutter is cocked. When I worked on a T60, I found that it was quite sensitive to battery voltage. A marginal set of batteries would produce dead camera symptoms with no warning.

My guess is that you may need to pull the mirror box in order to find your problem - not a trivial task. You might be better off just replacing it. T60s on eBay are selling for less than $100.

Jcfn
Tinkerer
Username: Jcfn

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks to Novaness for the info on sensitivity to battery voltage.
I replaced what I thought were fresh batteries with another set and the camera sprang back to life! I will put a roll of Neopan 400 in it to try it out. I knew about the cons of the T60 before I acquired it but I like its ergonomics, small dimension, feather weight, simplicity and viewfinder which shows both selected shutter speed and recommended speed in manual mode. In many ways it is the antithesis of the T90 I have. I also had a T70 and A1s which were great in their own ways.
For information the shutter of the T60 has a distinctive sound and is surprisingly loud compared with the minolta XD5 and SRT303 which I also have.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration