Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 - getting rid of lens ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Konica Auto S2 - getting rid of lens barrel play « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bliorg
Tinkerer
Username: Bliorg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all -

I've been working on a Konica Auto S2. The last little problem is a small, small amount of left-and-right rotational play in the lens barrel. Have tried tightening down the shutter retaining ring and the barrel nut in the film chamber. Not working.

I'd ignore the little bit of play, but that there's just enough so that it keeps the shutter from firing unless the barrel is rotated all the way clockwise. There's less than a millimeter of movement; it's just enough to interfere with the shutter relase.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 43

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFAIK a certain play is necessary to be able to rotate the shutter ring without too much force, and also the self timer will probably no longer work properly if you overtighten the serrated brass ring on the shutter. It is, on the one hand, quite difficult to judge whether there is too much play in the case of your camera. On all my K S2s incl. the almost identical S1.6 and also on the vintage Olympuses, Minoltas, Ricohs, Canonets and the like some such play can be felt, so from my view there is nothing you'd have to be worried about. On the other hand if the wobbling is caused by a loosening retainer ring (accessible from inside the film chamber) holding the entire shutter/lens assemby in place you will sooner than later have a disfunctional camera, W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, I now remember a Ricoh (Seikosha SLV) on which I encountered a similar problem. It took me a while to figure out that there was something wrong with the release mechanism. When the speed setting plate and the serrated brass ring were properly installed the shutter refused to close, after loosening the ring, it worked properly. But then there was too much play and the whole thing was too wobbly. After very sparingly adding some watch oil to the movable parts of the release mechnism the problem was gone. The K S2 has a Copal SVA, but I think the basic funtion is very close to the Seikosha in that respect. On that Ricoh I had to find a compromise between tightening the ring and the right play; hope this helps a bit, W.

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips, Werner. Turns out, there were some screws in the back of the shutter cell which had worked loose. I have some pictures and a brief writeup here.

Scott

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - correct URL here...

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If focusing is too stiff I can imagine the RF coupling is not ok, so what about the rangefinder? The shutter, as far I recall reassembly, has to be cockeed in advance, otherwise the auto levers do not line up correctly and can be bent, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration