Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Swiffer or othert electrostatic cloth... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Swiffer or othert electrostatic cloths to clean exterior... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer
Username: Ph0t0n

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...from the ouside of cameras. What's the consensus on this?

I've been keeping some lesser used cameras and lenses on a table, uncovered, in a mostly sunlit room. This, in an effort to keep the spectre of mold/fungus at bay.

However, I find that I'm now dealing with a light coating of dust on the gear. I'd like to take a Swiffer cloth to the hardware, but I'm not sure if the cloths are impregnated with any type of detergent/lubricant.

A few years ago I tried a swiffer on CRT. I found it left behind some sort of streaking/whatever, which came off with Windex.

Opinions, alternatives, anyone?

-CJ

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A clarification on my previous post:

I'm wary of using canned (or other forced air) to blow the dust off, because I don't want to blow dust INTO the helicals and other small spaces like that.

-CJ

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 107

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would prefer a soft brush. i might resort to canned air to get into spaces where the brush can't reach, once the major part of the dust has been removed.

Ph0t0n
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration