Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina IIIc Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kodak Retina IIIc « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_t
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_t

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to work fine and looks great. But there is some oil on the shutter blades. How serious is this and can I safely clean it? It probably will affect shutter speed accuracy, at least on the first snap.

Also, the lens looks great for the most part. But there are a couple of tiny specks that won't clean off. I actually think it's in the lens coating. Will this affect the quality of the photos it takes?

This lens has the Heligon 50mm f2 lens. Anyone know what size or Kodak series filters and retaining rings needed for it? Kodak series VI and V is too big.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

The IIIc is a great camera. You'll have fun wit it.

The shutter is a bit of a fickle thing to clean. Opening it and flushing with lighter fluid is not too difficult, but getting it to run afterward requires very careful and proper lubrication. Manuals are availabe on eBay if you think you are up to it. If you are not sure, it might be best to leave it to someone experienced. There is even a guy on eBay that sells a special tool for removing the shutter from the body.

The specks probably won't make a bit of difference.

The filters are Kodak 32mm. Please notice that the lens/filter threads are NOT 32mm, but are more like 29.5mm. These are easily found on eBay.

You didn't ask, but if you are searching eBay for Retina items, look for a lens hood. They are a special bayonet mount type... and well worth having.

Steve_t
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Brian

Do you think the shutter blades can be cleaned with lighter fluid and a Q-Tip? Or is that likely to not do any good?

I do not feel comfortable with taking the camera apart. I have a Cosina/Vivitar screw mount slr body that is still a pile of parts from a repair attempt (it was locked up or wouldn't function somehow). Good thing it wasn't worth much money.

The 32mm screw-in filters? One guy has one for $39.00! I can't pay that kind of money.

Mel
Tinkerer
Username: Mel

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve: A 29.5 fits the f/2 Rodenstock Heligon on my Agfa Karat 36. The same 29.5 fits f/2 Xenons on my Agfa Karat IV, Retina II, Retina IIa, and Retina IIIc. I have a 29.5 adapter ring made by Tiffen that takes Kodak Series V filters for all five. My retinas cannot be closed with even a thin screw-in filter in place. No problem with the Agfas of course.
The OUTSIDE of these lenses measure 32mm. I have an old screw-in "Kodak Skylight Filter 32 Made in Germany" that has 29.5 mm threads despite the "32" in the name.
Years ago, Kodak made a 29.5 screw-in polarizing filter with a detachable side arm that held a little polarizer oriented same as the one over the lens. This enabled one to see the effect of the polarizer with a rangefinder camera. No, the little polarizer is not viewed through the viewfinder, use it separately.

Rob_the_waste
Tinkerer
Username: Rob_the_waste

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of going through E-Bay, and paying more for shipping than the toys are actually worth, try to find what you need at a local camera show. Here in the Toronto area, there are approximately 7 or 8 shows a year where old camera junk is resold. It may take some patience, but last show I was at, I loaded up for a buck a filter/adapter ring/polarizer, etc... I got all that I needed, and there were some oddball sized things there too, like 32 mm slip on close up filters. I got matched sets to go with my Yashica A TLR.

Steve_t
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really appreciate the information folks. The filter threads are 29.5mm, I'll remember that. This looks like a camera I'd like to keep and use and I thought a few filters and whatnot would be nice to have. I'll keep my eyes open for a camera show. I've never been to one. That would be a good thing to do.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration