Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dissasembling of rear lens element of... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Dissasembling of rear lens element of Yashica Mat 124 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Petrosh
Tinkerer
Username: Petrosh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, the rear element of the taking lens of my "new" yashica mat 124 is very hazy, almost milky white, from what it seems to be oil gases (from other posts) leading to incredible soft focused negatives. That hazing is at the inside of the rear element. It should be easy enough to wipe it off should I get there.
Question: To do it I just have to unscrew the fastening bolt at the back of the camera inside the film chamber? Then the element will come right off? Is it OK to do it myself should I feel comfortable with micro-work?
Thank you, Petros

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rear element is surrounded by a slotted ring. On a camera of this age it will probably be as tight as a little mouse's ear and you will need a precisely fitting key so as to ensure you don't chew up the slots under high untorque. Make sure the business end of the key is ground concave so that it clears the convex surface of the rear element.
If the haze is as bad as you say, it is likely to be UV etching and probably impossible to clean off. Checking it out is quick and easy job for a camera-techie and shouldn't cost very much.
Unless you have a proper key or can grind one precisely I would recommend entrusting initial evaluation to a professional.

I am fairly sure that the 124 rear element is a single glass.
If it is an airspaced but sealed doublet - then-you are in trouble.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the fogging you describe on a Rolleicord and it wiped right off.
The 635 and 12 have a single element at the back and those were both loose when I got them.
I used a bevelled piece of wood to tighten those back up, perhaps that could work to unscrew the lenselement if you do not have acces to facilities to make proper tooling.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration