Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon F3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have got hold of a Nikon F3, but it has 2 problems,that I need help with.
1) The viewfinder display shows the speed but not the + or - that should be there.
2) The display shows the correct speed up to 1/60 sec, any faster speed then shows 1/80, the shutter speeds appears to be correct up to 1/60, but faster than that all appear to be the same ie 1/80.
Any help would be most welcome.

Davidritchie
Tinkerer
Username: Davidritchie

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you closed the back and advanced the film counter to at least "1". Not too sure, but I think the shutter speed nor metering will act correctly until the dial is advanced to "1" or above.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you David, Have tried that I know that is the case on the EM.
But I have had a nights sleep since I posted this, I think the answer may be the ASA resistor base cracked, I am sure I have read that somewhere.
I will wait to see if someone can confirm my suspicions, and if possioble where to get a replacement.

Davidritchie
Tinkerer
Username: Davidritchie

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggest you go back throught the archives. I learned that you can shorten your search by placing subject in quotes, ie, "nikon f3". Someone on the forum taught me that a while back.

Marco1966
Tinkerer
Username: Marco1966

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

F3 shutter speeds are 1/80 with the back open!!! This drove me crazy a while back, I thought I had just bought a dud! But then I checked my good f3 and it behaved exactly the same way....

The f3 senses the open back. The two little brass "buttons" on the back are actually contacts. By electrically closing the two little contacts the shutter works at all speeds!

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Marco and David, the problem turned out to be that the film counter was stuck, on taking the top off and freeing the counter, every thing was working correctly, I have not worked out why it was stuck.
Thanks for your replies.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration