Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Isolette - Solinar 75mm Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Agfa Isolette - Solinar 75mm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer
Username: Michalis_dk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I bough an Isolette III in 'like new' condition but both the rangefinder and lens needed attention. The rangefinder is clean and accurate now but I have problems with a stuck front set of the Solinar. I have tried warming it up and dissolving the green 'glue' with acetone. No luck. Any suggestions?

regards
Michael

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 113

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't think acetone is as effective as lighter fluid - probably because it evaporates too fast. what has worked for me is to get the threads as wet as possible with lighter fluid and then grip the front cell with pliers and apply slow, firm, steady pressure counterclockwise. don't expect it to go fast or easy, the harder you push the harder it will resist turning. with patience it can be done.

warming the lens up first can't hurt.

i sharpened the teeth in a pair of pliers dedicated to this kind of job: the sharp teeth don't slip so that the only marks left are fine knife-edge grooves, and you don't have to squeeze too tightly to get a grip and risk damaging the lens cell. i would not try it with regular off-the-shelf pliers.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some days ago I unscrewed a completely froozen front cell of an Isolette by warming it up in a baking oven. I have unmounted the lens and shutter combination from the bellows and placed the combination in the oven. The oven was still quite warm after use being used for baking but it was not working any more. To avoid a shock I had placed the combination in a box. After a quarter hour I had reached app. 40°C to 50 °C and it was very easy to unscrew it. For this issue heat is more effective than a solvent.

By the way: lighter fluid evaporates faster than acetone! But acetone stinks more.

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for your advice. I tried warming it up with a hairdryer because it has helped with an Apotar but Solinar has en fourth element...

Rick are you sure about using pliers? The front element has a quite thin 'frame' and I'm afraid that it cannot take much pressure. I refer to the ring with the Solinar name on.

Will it help to use petroleum?

regards
Michael

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

on the one that i had, the visible part was removable first so that you just had the cell itself to deal with. it might not have been a solinar.

lighter fluid evaporates faster than acetone? what kind of lighter fluid are you using, butane?

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked it up. The boiling point of octane - the main component of lighter fluid - is 126°C. The boiling point of acetone is 56°C. Shame on me!

But I still can't believe that the boiling point of lighter fluid should be higher than that of water. The fast evaporation of lighter fluid is the worst side of this solvent in my eyes.

I rarely use acetone and not for the same purpose as I use lighter fluid. Maybe I did not note the fast evaporation because of my rare use.

Mel
Tinkerer
Username: Mel

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Warning: Many years ago I warped the blades of a shutter, The blades were plastic, not metal. I think I used acetone or MEK. The camera was an Ansco 120 folder.
Mel

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 116

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's the reason for using lighter fluid. it doesn't attack any plastics that i've ever been able to try it on

Reborn
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a rubber band to remove the front element of my Solinar after using lighter fluid and it went off quite easily

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warming it up worked in this case BUT I still managed to destroy the lens. Squeezed too much the ring holding the second element which cracked. Stupid stupid stupid!
I guess I'll be looking for a new front cell...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration