Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35SP - Battery replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus 35SP - Battery replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ken
Tinkerer
Username: Ken

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35SP and the PX625 battery has now given up the ghost.

I presume that the same replacements for the OM1 can be used in the 35SP. Has anyone any experience in this?

Also, does anyone know if it would be easy to put a diode into it for use with a silver oxide battery in a similar manner to the OM1?

Many thanks

Ken

Mel
Tinkerer
Username: Mel

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Olympus OM-1 and one Olympus SP. I use a MR-9 ADAPTER that I ordered from Olympus a few years ago. This enables a Silver Oxide 1.5 volt battery to be used. I have seen similar adapters for sale by C.R.I.S. I think they cost about 40 dollars now.
I also use this adapter in a Topcon Unirex. I did not order all four at the same time and it appears that some are slightly thicker than others, getting one into the Topcon is a tight fit. The SP is a great camera, especially for flash.

Ken
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mel

Thanks for the info.

I too have an OM1, bought new about 6 months after the 35SP.

The OM1 still has a PX625 battery in it, but I know I will have to replace it with something suitable sometime. I have previously corresponded with posters on the board about this. Hence asking if the 35SP was the same.

The 35SP is a beautiful camera. The only reason I upgraded to an OM1 was to have interchangeable lenses.

I agree about the flash facility. A brilliant idea.

Ken

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I put a diode in my 35 SP. With the front off of the camera, there is plenty of room for it in the body cavity just above the battery holder. It works very well.

Paul

Barnabyhairwax
Tinkerer
Username: Barnabyhairwax

Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a 675 zinc air hearing aid battery.
a little bit of plastic can be used to make a spacer around the smaller battery to hold it in.
The discharge rate of zinc air batteries is comparable to the mercury battery, apparently.

Ken
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the replies.

That's great as it certainly sounds like the different options for OM1 battery replacements can also be used in the 35SP.

Ken

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration