Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD shutter removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus 35RD shutter removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary
Tinkerer
Username: Gary

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

I am following Henry's article to remove a gummed up shutter from an Olympus 35RD. I have managed to get the shutter unit loose by removing the three (out of six) screws. The shutter is loose but I can't get it out of the lens barrel, it moves forward but I cannot get it to clear the barrel even with the focus racked as far back into the body as it will go. The shutter won't tilt to aid extraction and it has only limited rotation inside the barrel. As I try to pull the shutter unit out something seems to be restraining it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I have missed or how I can get the shutter free from the lens barrel?

Thanks

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a guess but is there some wiring between the shutter speed setting and the exposure computer? In order to set the proper aperture it has to know the shutter speed selected.

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has to be aligned just perfect for it to come out. It is even harder getting it back in. As a matter of fact, when I had to get into another RD, after that article, I removed the leatherette and front panel. That made disassembly and reassembly so much easier.

I have been meaning to do a Olympus RD Revisited article, but simply haven't had the time. I do have a few extra photos with the front plate removed if you think that might help.

Henry

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 52

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Following Henry's article I was able to fully restore four RD 35s by now, each one was different somehow, but a tinkerer usually develops individual skills that can hardly ever be explained in full detail. But that is what tinkering actually is about, so please do not expect recipe-like do-it-yourself plans, just do it, that's the trick. The obstacle you worry about is most probably the lever/arm activating the shutter. Yes, removal is possible, of course, following Henry's first two sentences in his input on the matter above is imperative. But beforehand you have got to see for yourself if you can manage reassembly, it definitely is NOT easy. On the other hand I am as far from being a technician as one can be, but the three RD's waiting in line to be repaired, will without any doubt, sooner or later, be in full working order again, and I hope that yours will also soon be in good shape, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration