Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vitoret focus adjust Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Vitoret focus adjust « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rippo
Tinkerer
Username: Rippo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my Voightlander Vitoret, which i just put a first roll of film through, has the focus a bit off. 4 ft through the lens (using a frosted glass method) shows 4.5 feet on the focus ring indicator.

i've got the set screws exposed, but i can't quite figure out how to go about adjusting it. i seem to have moved the focus in the wrong direction.

anyone know the procedure for this adjustment, or can point me to an internet source? my googling didn't show up anything.

thanks!

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Undo the set screws and pull off the front ring.
Set camere on a tripod as with a ground glass screen in the film-plane (the ground side face downwards of course).
Direct the camera toward a far distant infinity object as with some detail. Set the shutter on B and lock it open with a cable-release.
Open iris to the maximum.
Usea lupe or head bandbinocular to view detail on the groundglass screen. Rotate the front element group in its helix until the infinity object on the screen is dead sharp.
Then refit the front element ring as with its infinity mark against the indexer. Lock up the setscrews.

All done!

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! It may well be that you are looking for trouble which isn't there. The focussed distance refers to measurements taken from the film-plane. If you conduct a filmtest you may well find your Vitoret peforms satisfactorilly.

Rippo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks ethostech, i'll try it today. i did conduct a film test, which is what prompted my desire to recalibrate. everything was out of focus on the film.

Rippo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well i think i had the general principle down, but i wonder if the focus indicator ring is slipping. my adjustment and subsequent test were inconclusive. i've got to run some more film through it and see if i got it working. thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration