Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 6C Lens won't stop down Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kiev 6C Lens won't stop down « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I just received a Kiev 6C I bought on eBay from a guy in the US. The camera itself is in very good condition and seems to work as it should. The Vega 12S 90mm lens that came with it is another matter. Although it looks practically new, the aperture won't stop down. There is a button or pin on the back of the lens, which I assume works like the pin on an M42 screw mount lens, closing down (or opening up) when depressed. This pin is loose, with no spring tension, the end lying flush with back plate. In other words, it doesn't project outwards.

It sounds like the the linkage to the diaphragm is broken, or the blades are frozen. I've never owned one of these cameras or lenses before so don't know what to expect. Before I start thinking about asking for a refund, I want to get an idea of how big a problem it would be to fix. From their mixed reputation I kind of expected this could be something of a project camera.

Can I get to the diaphragm from the back? How should I proceed?

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The Vega is one of the few Kiev MF lenses I haven't been inside. But based on the others it's a simple job to get inside for a look. You need to remove the three screws on the bayonet mount and the whole mount assembly will lift off. Please note it's the three outer screws, not the ones near the rear element. The tensioning springs will be either on a plate around the rear element or mounted inside the bayonet mount. Construction is simple, so by manually working the stop down lever, it will be easy to see where the problem lies. If the springs are ok, it's most likely to be oil on the blades causing the sticking. They can be accessed by unscrewing the rear element block and then wiping with cotton buds and naptha. This solution probably will work for about a year until more oil migrates onto the blades. These cameras and lenses are capable of very fine results and you also have the choice of the P6 Carl Zeiss lenses as well. If you decide you do like the camera, it's well worth considering sending it to Arax in the Ukraine. They will rebuild it to a higher standard than when it left the factory for very little money.

John

Geowelch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John. I took a look under the mount. It seems to be a rather flimsy linkage, with lots of play. Movement of the pin translates into rotation of a rod, or is it the other way around? The aperture blades aren't budging so I guess I'll go in a little deeper tomorrow.

I looked at Arax. Their service prices are dirt cheap, but the shipping there and back is a little expensive. I'll evaluate the camera over the winter and make a decision next spring. I also bought a Mir 38, which should arrive from Russia any day, so I will have another lens to test it with. The meter is off by 2-3 stops. I recall seeing some article on calibrating one but didn't bookmark it. If anyone has that link, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
George

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George,

You will find lots of useful links at wwww.kievaholic.com

John

Geowelch
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are a good source of information. Matter of fact there seems to be something of a Kiev 60 cult out there! Besides Kievaholic I found the following page on calibrating the Kiev TTL meter prism:

http://www.eol.ee/~margus/kiev/meter.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration