Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seagull replica of the Minolta SR typ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Seagull replica of the Minolta SR type camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 59

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Seagull SLR SR-type Minolta replica needs fine adjustment of the film winding/ shutter cocking mechanism. A full swing of the lever is not enough to fully cock the shutter, at the end of its travel it needs an extra "tick" from the start position to complete the winding. Can this be adjusted somehow so that winding can be done again at just one stroke?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No expert knowledge avaiable on the Seagull DF mechanical SLR? All the SLR enthusiasts dozing or sound asleep in their hibernation dens?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 123

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've never seen one in person. i have worked on some SRTs, but never had this problem. however, i HAVE seen a similar problem in olympus OM1 and OM2 and in pentaxes. in those cases, the problem was in the silent-ratchet system of the wind lever. in those cameras, the ratchet consists of a couple of little levers that swing in to engage a toothed wheel as you begin to wind the lever. to be silent, they are normally parked in a disengaged position between winds. if they get dirty, they stick in the disengaged position, and then it can take more than one stroke to wind the shutter as it takes up part of the first stroke before the ratchet engages and begins to work.

that is what i would look for first.

rick : ) =

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 63

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for that info, Rick. What you write seems like a description of my problem. I am not very (not a bit, actually) experienced with SLRs, so I thought starting with a non-expensive Chinese one was the right thing to do. (Among my first RF cameras to repair there was a badly damaged Chinese Seagull 205 with a scratched lens and a rotten self-timer; I got it back together again with the help of Winfried - I wonder what has become of him, he seems to have left this forum for good which I deeply regret).
I have another specimen of that Seagull camera, in pristine condition.
But I usually like using the banged-up cameras more, some of them have most probably seen a lot of abuse and also perhaps half of the world, you never know. This is to say they have a history, and that is what incurable romantics like me usually go for, thank you again.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 124

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed Winfried's absence too. Hope he's doing okay.

If you would like to email me at [email protected] i have some notes and photos of the ratchets in the OM1/2 and the Pentax Spotmatic, and general disassembly notes on the Minolta SRT, which might help you in trying to locate and identify the wind ratchet in your camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration