Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME F dead Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax ME F dead « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bengi
Tinkerer
Username: Bengi

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is fine, but no led, no nothing. I removed top and botttom covers and all small wires seems connected. Is there any specific part to look at? Capacitors or else?

Thanks,

Ben

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check for correct voltage from the battery compartment to the flex circuit.

Bengi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is actually an ME_F, so 6 volts. BTW: I tested the two wires indicated in the following pictures (assuming the red is + and the blue is -) and I got 6 volts. Looking carefully there are some differences between this flex and the ME Super one.
Advices?
Ben

Bengi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the picture:

ME F
http://homepage.mac.com/bengi/files/ME_F.jpg

ME Super
http://homepage.mac.com/bengi/files/mesuper.jpg

Hovaness
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The next thing to check is voltage at the shutter release switch. If you examine the shutter release mechanism, you will see the contacts that close when the release is pressed. This is what turns on the meter circuitry. If this switch is OK, then you should check various test points on the flex circuit, including the outputs to the LED array.

Unfortunately, if you have a bad component on the flex circuit, it is not only hard to replace the flex, but there were so many changes to the electronics in the ME/ME Super family that it is difficult to find a proper replacement.

At some point, it becomes cheaper to spend $50 on eBay for a working Pentax body.

Bengi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hovaness, what you say is corect: "At some point, it becomes cheaper to spend $50 on eBay for a working Pentax body."

That's the problem! This reimind me an older thread: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6790/6817.html?1161042195 - "Am I a collector or ... am I?".

I keep buying busted cameras for parts and then I try to fix them: it's a never ending story!

Hovaness
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my opinion, the most satisfying cameras to restore are the Pentax MX, Konica T3 and the Minolta SRT series. The electronics are simple and repairable, and it is relatively easy to recalibrate the meters (T3 and SRT) to work with silver cells. The electronic Pentax cameras have tightly packed mechanicals, and the circuitry is devilishly complicated.

Bengi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just finished to replace seals in my MX, so I profitted by the occasion to remove the top cover. It is metal, while in the other M series (including the very first MEs) it is plastic.

BTW the interios looks quite similar to the ME Super except for a simpler flex (no CPU on it).

Are you sure it is really a nightmare to try to replace the flex in the ME Super? Will keep you posted,
Ben

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration