Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Velostigmat lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Velostigmat lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently bought a cheap old 6x9cm folder just because it had a Compur-Rapid shutter. The lens is a Velostigmat. From some Google searches I leared that it was produced by Wollensak in Rochester,USA. Strange, a german camera of the late 30ties with an American lens on it.

Does somebody know the Velostigmat? Is it a 3 element design or a 4 element Tessar like design? It is very well perserved.

Peterw
Tinkerer
Username: Peterw

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Reiner,

The Velostigmat was a lens name used by the Wollensak Optical Company, Rochester, NY for many years. The first Velostigmat in 1909 was a Tessar-type layout. A few of the later ones were triplets, and a few were six-element Gauss layout, but the majority were four-glass, Tessar-type layouts.

Not many Wollensak lenses were seen in Europe, mainly because of the high import duties, so there were many European (mainly German) lens makers who could undercut them in price. Also, against the names Zeiss and Tessar, the Velostigmat didn't really stand a marketing chance.

I know of only one other company that used the name Velostigmat for a short time, and that was Franka in Germany during WWI, but whether that was a co-incidence, licenced by Wollensak or just plain name pinching I don't know. I don't know the age of your camera, but just possibly it might have a Franka-made Velostigmat.

PeterW

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Peter,

thank you for your reply. In the meantime I have identified the camera. It does not have any marque of producer indication and it is a simple 6x9 folder of the 30ties as many others are. It seems to be a "Rona" made by "Kamerafabrik Dresden" a rarely encounter German maker. If you google for "Rona" and "Velostigmat" you will find it on a polish web side. It is identical except the leathering and the shutter.

In the meantime I have also taken the lens apart. The front element and the middle element including the focus thread unscrews as one part - quite nice. I had to take this element apart to clean the inner surfaces. The lens mounting is quite well made and the lens is the best preserved of that area I ever saw. I can not definitely say wether it is a 3-lens or a 4 lens design because 2 lenses of a 4-lens-Tessar design are cemented together. But I assume that it is a 4-lens design. Together with the well preserved and working Compur-Rapid it is a nice combination. The rest of the camera is nothing special but good enough to do some trial picts. The bellows seems to be light tight.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration