Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Oly 35 RC Viewfinder alignment / clea... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Oly 35 RC Viewfinder alignment / cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Archie
Tinkerer
Username: Archie

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I got a Oly 35RC for just 2,50 € (was 'defect' aka self-timer stuck). As the rf patch wasn't really good visible, I opened the camera and cleaned a few windows. (The front and back window as well as the one from the mirrored image, each on both sides) But after reassembly the rf patch didn't get really brighter. As this was my first attempt, did I do anything wrong (cleaned with denatured alcohol; german: Spiritus) or is a brighter patch just possible with a professional cleaning?

Well and I think that there's a missalignment, which I'm not quite sure of as it's my first rf. I don't know if the focus is correct, as my first roll hasn't run through completely. But when I align the images the mirrored image is just a bit below the viewfinder. Is this a misalignment and can it be fixed by myself?

Thanks
Archie

Archie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well edit doesn't seem to work, so I'll add a post here.
I just found somewhere in older posts that adding a sunglass in front of the viewfinder helps, and tested it, works great. Well if it's not possible to find any solustion with cleaning, I'll try to find a flat toned piece and maybe replace the old frontwindow.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, wait, wait.

What you call a front window is indeed the front lens of the view finder. You can not replace that by a sunglass. You should not use German "Spiritus" as the additives used for denaturation shurely leave a residue on the glass surfaces. I used pure (96%) alcohol as well as isopropene (Isopropanol, 100%) both bought in a German pharmacy with the same good results.

The vertical misaligment you describe is not so critical but annoying. It can be cured with a screw within the RF mechanism but I can not say exactly where to attack since I never did that on an Oly 35 RC. The screw might be secure by paint or glue. In this case a very tiny drop of acetone is helpful.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Archie, edit is for the administrator exclusively.
Careful (!) cleaning of ALL the surfaces with lighter fluid (forget about denaturated alcohol, it will probably have a very negative effect on the semi-silvered mirror, without that one there is no "ghost image"!) on cotton swabs and/or pipe cleaners moistened with it should do the trick.
It is of vital importance to clean from both sides the small rectangular window in the translucent plastic square next to the viewfinder glass.
RF alignment is not so easy, because as a hobby tinkerer (who does not usually find the screws easily) you will have to take off the top cap to be able to turn the setscrews: the one for horizontal alignment is in the open "triangle" right of the half-solvered mirror (brass, slothead), the other one is a crosshead screw behind the RF mirror, by turning it the angle of the mirror can be changed (vertical alignment, which is usually done first). BTW, what sense does it make to clean a viewfinder to make it brighter and then cover it by a sort of sunglass!?
I hope this helps a bit, W.

Archie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@ reiner: thanks, I already was thinking that this might be a lense, so the only way is sticking sth in front of it. I'll get some pure alcohol and try again.

@ werner: I didn't clean the 45° mirror in the middle. I cleaned this small window on both sides, but I'll do that again with pure alcohol.
Taking off the top cap was no real problem (I just needed to realize that the self-timer screw goes out clockwise.. :D). I'll see how easy it is to reach those screws and maybe I'll give it a try then.
Well give it a try and put a sunglas in front of the viewfinder. For sure it decreases the overall brightness of it, but the contrast of the mirror increases significantly and it's better to focus.

Regards
Archie

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration