Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat 124g Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica Mat 124g « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Buzz7
Tinkerer
Username: Buzz7

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new to this forum although I have viewed it on occasion. I love cameras, the older the better. I have been using a Retina 1B and a Ciroflex tlr for a while. Three months ago I bought a Yashica Mat 124G, paid almost $100 (I could have bought three Retinas for that). Bought it on ebay and it turned out to be a servicable but not the best & kind of dirty. Naturaly the light meter doesn't work, the mercury sell leaked. I bought a silver battery adapter and had no luck. So what, none of the cameras I use have a light meter. I would like to take it apart and clean it but it scares me. Maybe I should consider having it cleaned by a "pro". Getting the top off and the front is no problem but cleaning the shutter, I don't know. I haven't run any film through it. I think I'll shoot a roll of B&W tommorow, see how it goes. What do you think I should do about cleaning?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 129

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the shutter NEED cleaning? if the slow speeds run well, you can leave it alone and just do cosmetic cleaning. The Yashica shutter is not hard to clean as shutters go, much the same as your Retina and Ciro. The biggest trick is getting to it by removing the front fascia (screws are under the leatherette) and the biggest trick to THAT is that the leatherette is probably brittle so you'll have to find new leather to replace it and cut it to shape.

The meter is reached partly through the viewfinder hood opening, and partly through the front lens panel, depending on exactly what you need to reach.

If the camera is in working order I wouldn't mess with it until I had shot some film.....

Buzz7
Tinkerer
Username: Buzz7

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration