Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Auto S2 manual setting and foc... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Konica Auto S2 manual setting and focus issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Analog_in_az
Tinkerer
Username: Analog_in_az

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am hoping that someone can help out with a recently acquired Auto S2.

1. The manual function does not appear to be working correctly. It behaves more like in auto mode. I cannot set the aperture and have it operate to the setting; it closes it down like it was in Auto. Auto mode seems to be working fine.

2. The focus ring does not appear to be able to go all the way to infinity. I can get close but it takes a lot of effort.

If anyone can help, I would sure appreciate it.

Regards
Phil

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,
- (#1) the K auto S2's aperture has no click stops, you can see the blades close and open through the rear lens group when the film door is open. If the blades don't move I am sure they also won't close in auto mode (in auto the aperture is always fully open and closes according to light conditions and/or preselected shutter setting).
On most S2s aperture and/or shutter blades are oily and therefore have to be cleaned (this forum's archives offer plenty of info on how to do that).
- (#2) Maybe a previous tinkerer has left his/her traces and wrongly reassembled the camera, like, for example, when someone has tried to readjust infinity setting and missed the right point. But more often there is simply something in the way, as on the S2 the focusing way between 0,9m and infinity is less than a quarter of a turn. If odd bits and pieces somehow find their way to the helicoil they will stop the lens from turning, so don't force anything! A K S2 is a very fine object for learning, as its internal parts are quite solid and BIG, so even if you are a very unskilled repairperson it is tinkerer friendly so to speak.
Try this link and decide for yourself if you can fix anything yourself:
http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html?repair/KonicaAutoS2/KonicaAutoS2.html~Ma in

Analog_in_az
Tinkerer
Username: Analog_in_az

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wernerjb,
Thanks for the response. The camera is functioning in auto mode. The issue is when I move it into manual mode. The aperture I select is not the aperture that the camera selects. The meter seems to be working fine for auto mode and it seems to be influencing the manual mode operation, which it should not do.

I think this camera was tinkered with in the past and it also shows signs of having been dropped.

Thanks,
Phil

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration