Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet light seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet light seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G. Dalitz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I think the foam is bad news. I recently replaced the seals in my GIII with black
velvet ribbon obtained from a local haberdashery store. Cheap and (it would seem) effective.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can use any suitable material from velvet garters to strips of old mouse mat.At the end of the day in a camera that sees plenty of use,the modern foams supplied by Jon Goodman are the only way to go.In heavy usage the modern velvets tend to wear and take on a 'set'.The older cotton velvets are another story.Also installation is far simpler with his kits,even for a complete novice.

Even with s&h to UK, his actual price per camera repaired is only a few pence.I call that very good value.

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fully agree with Glen. Jon offers seals made with materials which will not deteoriate like the urethane foam originally used. Jon's foam will still be good when we are long gone.

Keith Beaumont

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks all some good tips there,I have tried Jon's seals they seam perfect to me,Keith.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration