Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leather ever-ready case maintenance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Leather ever-ready case maintenance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Stone

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a Konica Auto S2 and it came with an ever-ready case. The leather looks good on the outside and I did treat it with Lexol. I cleaned a fine layer of dust off the camera and all looked pretty good. I put the camera back in the case and later on opened it to check an operation function. The layer of dust is back. Is there a way to treat the inside of the case so it doesn't shed this dust? It really doesn't appear dirty.

Appreciate any assistance.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you'll find the problem comes from the velvet lining. Actually it is imitation velvet, and what seems to happen is the adhesive "stuff" used to bind the fibers to the base fabric dries out over time, breaks down and just sifts through as dust. I don't know any way to stabilize this from the front side without ruining the nap. You can re-line one, but it is tedious and time-consuming.

Jon

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Jon pointed out, the lining deteriorates and will continue to produce dust over time. You can try brushing the lining with a toothbrush to remove most of the loose dust. A small vacum lie the one I bought at Radio Shach also works well for cleaning the inside of cases.

Doug Stone

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - I will give the vacumn a try.

David

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most ever-ready cases are not made of leather. Usually they are made from vinyl and in many cases they are even made from cardboard with a coating of some type. I've seen Konica and Minolta cases that the coating cracked and fell apart and revealed the cardboard.

Don LeRoux

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, I have used the adhesive side of plain old duct tape to remove the loose junk from the insides of an old camera case and several lens cases. It is really sticky. Don LeRoux.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration