Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic II wind problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Spotmatic II wind problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with a Spotmatic II I aquired recently (mainly for the lens). When I "wind on", the shutter will often fire as soon as the camera reaches "full cock". If I wind on by "inching" forward or do it very gently, the camera will work perfectly. On the other hand, if I wind on vigorously, it will nearly always fire. Other than perhaps needing new seals, (which I can do with the help of one of Jon Goodman's excellent kits :-) ) everything else seems to be in very good order. I suspect it might be a simple adjustment but I don't want to start fiddling about in case I throw some other adjustments such as shutter timing out. I am quite happy about removing the top, front and bottom plates but can someone give me a clue as to where to go from there.

Kim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Tan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just worked om a Spotmatic SP which is similar to your camera. I am afraid your problem may require one more level of opening up the camera. After removing the front face cover, you will find a mirror to shutter release cam at the top near the mirror pivot, behind the shutter release shaft. Normally, when you cock the shutter, the shutter release cam needs to be pushed by one of levers connected to the mirror cage, activated by the shutter release shaft on the left side of the mirror cage. As long as the shutter is cocked, and the shutter release cam is activated ie pushed at the slightest touch, the curtain is released. It may be possible the small spring holding back this shutter release cam has been dislodged or the activating lever attached to the mirror cage is not in the correct position ie pushing the shutter release cam all the time so that whenever you finish cocking the shutter, it fires the shutter immediately. Your problem may be having to remove the mirror cage from the body and this also involves removing the light meter on the right side of the camera and unsoldering a few wires. Unless you are fairly proficient at this level of work it can be quite a job putting back all the parts together again. If you want to proceed on removing the mirror cage housing and need more information, email to me and I will describe the procedure in detail.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration