Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Ib Mystery Screw Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Retina Ib Mystery Screw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Retina Ib, serial # 664xx, has a small screw located on the lens's DOF scale, approximately at the base (i.e., the side that's closest to the film) of the right-hand f2.8 line. The screw is normally hidden under the focusing ring and is only visible with the lens turned out to focus at very close distance.

I just bought this camera, and when I noticed the screw I checked its tightness and found that it required a couple of turns to reach bottom. So my question is: Is this an adjustment screw, and if so, what is it for and how should it be adjusted?

Thanks for any assistance.

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not familiar with a Ib but my IIa has a black focusing scale in feet which was added by Kodak on cameras sold in the USA and in PX's and Ship Services to cover and convert the original metric scale. If your DOF scale is in feet is it possible that it covers a DOF scale in meters? In which case it is not an adjustment.

Chris Sherlock

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That screw clamps the wire from the flash contact on the shutter housing to the contact inside the shutter itself. Leave it well alone, it doesn't need to be bottomed out, and if you cut right through the plastic clamp it pushes against into the wire, then you'll short the flash contact to earth, and no more flash.....

Regards, Chris Sherlock

Jon

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Chris!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration