Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GSN wrong battery Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Electro 35 GSN wrong battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Stone

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a Yashica Electro 35 GSN on the big auction site $5.00 with bag, case, and a cheap flash. I read the Yashica Guy's site and Matt Denton regarding battery options.

The camera had a corroded battery in it so I took the bottom off and had to force the battery out. I didn't really look at it (stupid), threw it away, trash man picked it up this morning. I went to radio shack to pick up a new battery. Bought the PX28. It doesn't fit. Upon further review there is another battery further down the battery compartment. I can see the + sign on it and the numbers 640. There is also a brass metal tab beside the battery. Not sure what's going on as all the info I have browsed doesn't mention the 640 battery for the GSN model. It is definitely a GSN 45mm 1:1.7 lens Color Yashinon.

Any tips on getting this extra battery out?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 640A is a 1.5v alkaline battery...pretty commonly used to make 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5 and 9 volt batteries. They gang them together with little metal tabs spot welded to each battery, and then wrap a plastic sleeve around the assembly. Duracell is famous for this trick, but I don't know if they created it or just copied it. Four of the 640s will work in the Electro 35 just fine. Batteries Plus sells them, or you can be economical and buy a 9v battery and separate into component parts. You can use the 640A in Minolta Hi-Matic F, etc. If things in there are corroded, get some white vinegar in there to loosen things up. Otherwise, you may have to drill a small hole with a pin vise and use a corkscrew to pull it out. Good luck.

Jon

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually the original battery for the E35 consists of 4 pcs of PX640, that's what I found in an original Varta battery.

Roger Provins

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original battery was 4 x 640 cells - mercury - and the reason they were banned is because folk threw expired ones in to trash can which meant they ended up in the landfill contaminating the soil and water supplies. Modern alkaline equivalents work perfectly in Yashicas as they are not voltage dependent.

Don LeRoux

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, The PX28 battery will work well in your GSN with a small conical spring and a cardboard tube after you get the battery compartment functional. The bottom cover can be removed easily after the 3 screws are taken out if you want better access to the battery compartment. I have a GS which contained a corroded battery. It needed a new spring and lead wire in addition to a careful cleanup of the battery compartment, but it works fine now. Good luck Don LeRoux,

charlie

Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my case corrosion in the battery compartment was symptomatic of corrosion all the way up the wire to the battery test switch pcb and from there to the battery test light which was actually corroded through. I replaced the wire to the pcb but felt the light wire was too inaccessible to be worth repairing.

jim rabidwolf

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BatteriesPlus.com lists this battery, much to my surprise. Part number DANTR164A (6c325maH Alkaline). You might try them. Haven't Seen this, but you might give it a try.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration