Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Introducing Myself And My Nikon F Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Introducing Myself And My Nikon F « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John L.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, everyone. I recently acquired a black Nikon FTn Photomic. The camera is complete, in generally decent shape, all the functions work (except as noted), and the meter needle is not "jumpy", so I think it is a good foundation to work with.

However, there are some things I have noticed that seem to need attending to. I would like to describe them, and solicit advice and suggestions as to how you would proceed if you were me. I am mechanically inclined, have no prior experience in camera repair, and am interested in learning. For example, I'd rather spend $200 on parts and tools and fix the camera myself, than spend $200 to have it repaired.

1. Some screws are missing. Two of the four screws that secure the inside of the finder (without these, the sheet metal cover of the finder is loose when the finder is latched down to the body); the screw beneath the lens release button; and the screw beneath the MLU control. Is there any source for these? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a parts body?

2. The aperture indexing slider (that you see through the slot in the face of the finder) will slide all the way to f1.4 when I mount a f1.4 lens, but then the springloaded ratchet stops it from sliding back even when I mount a lens with a different max aperture (e.g. f3.5). Even when I manually release the ratchet, the spring is not strong enough to slide the slider back. Not sure what to do about this.

3. The finder's linkage generally does not move smoothly. When I rotate the lens' aperture ring, the linkage binds then jerks. Guess I need to disassemble the linkage and clean/lube?

4. The film winding/shutter cocking lever is loose around its pivot and the tip moves up and down 1/4". In fact, the piece that contains the frame counter and 20/36 indicator wobbles. I need to find some way to tighten this.

5. The camera back has quite a bit of scarring. It seems like this was not the original back. This is the only part of the body that I want to repaint. The rest of the brassing is okay by me.

6. Shutter speeds below 1/4 sec are not reliable. Sometimes the shutter opens and then does not close. I have to wind again, then change to a faster shutter speed and release the shutter again. I'm not sure if the 1/8 and faster speeds are accurate, but they seem to work.

So, what would you do in my shoes? With the Nikon F and FTn repair manuals (I found a place where I can buy reprints), basic tools, and maybe even buying a non-working parts body - is fixing these issues within the ability of a mechanically inclined tinkerer?

John L.

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.: It is not an Apollo or otherwise collectible model. My goal is a well-functioning, decent-looking, "shooter" F.

P.P.S.: I guess I forgot to introduce myself. I'm in the SF Bay Area, returning to film after a couple-year dalliance with digital, and have a number of older cameras that need bits of fixing here and there - e.g. trim ring loose on the Rollei 35S, shutter won't cock on the Pentacon Six, filter rings are dented on a couple of lenses, leatherette is a bit loose on the F3, Hassy finder is missing some screws, etc. I've never had these things fixed because good affordable camera repair is hard to find. I'd love to learn to take care of these little things myself and buy old "fixer" cameras at the local swap meets.

P Laskey

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These all sound like familiar photomic ailments. First you need to find replacements for those four screws, they ensure good electrical contact and general working in the finder. Note that they are all different lengths. You need a scrapper for this. The spring that holds down the aperture indexing lever is prone to going weak, again a replacement is needed, although it need not come from a photomic head. The rail at the front may work loose so it's worth cleaning and tightening this part of the mechanism. Its accessible by unscrewing the front plate. I don't recommend taking the actual indexing mechanism - a circular track in the top of the head - apart, it can be a b*****d to get back together again properly. Lastly, the photomic heads generally need 2x 1.35v batteries rather than 1.5v, if you can get them.
P Laskey

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to hear you're interested in camera repair! At some point, you'll need light seal foam, and I can help you with that. You can search E-Bay using the "Items by Seller" feature (I think it is in the "advanced search" option). Enter my ID...Interslice...and you should see two sizes of kits. Or, you can follow this link to an auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15239&item=3865215431

The kits now boast a newly introduced foam which is really amazing stuff..in addition to being denser (smaller "bubbles"), it is easier to compress and has better rebound capabilities than anything else I've seen. Production of this involved efforts in three separate countries, and I believe it is the best suited for camera use of any foam available.

Jon

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doubt you'll need repair manuals. But if you do, both those can be found on the web. If you can't find them I'll see if I can re-find the links.

As for the missing screws: try a model hobby shop or go to a local camera fix-it shop. You can even request stuff on our swap meet pages.

Welcome aboard...

Henry

Ed

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I'm not mistaken, the screws are 2mm and about 8-10mm long--fillister head. Micro Tools in CA have all this stuff.

John L

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone. Here's my modest progress so far.

"1. Some screws are missing." Oddly enough, I found two screws inside the front cover, which solved half of my problem. Weird.

"2. The aperture indexing slider" this is still a problem.

"3. The finder's linkage generally" as is this.

"4. The film winding/shutter cocking lever is loose" I diassembled this and found that part 595 (referred to as "lever adjusting spacer" in the F repair manual) is missing, hence the loose wind lever.

"5. The camera back has quite a bit of scarring."

"6. Shutter speeds below 1/4 sec are not reliable." After exercising the shutter, the slow speeds now all work and appear pretty accurate.

Well, I think I'm going to look for a FTn finder that is being junked due to electrical problems, to salvage the needed screws and spring, and to figure out how the linkage works. And maybe an F body that is being junked for some reason, to salvage part 595 and the back. I've ordered a foam kit from Jon. We're slowly getting there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration