Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic lightmeter switcheroo Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pentax Spotmatic lightmeter switcheroo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro O

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've got a Spotmatic SP with a broken lightmeter. The needle seems stuck, any suggestions?

I'm also trying to find another Pentax for parts, anyone know which other Asahi's had an identical CdS lightmetering system? I'm thinking the K1000 and Spotmatic F.
I've got the second version of the Spotmatic SP (the one's with 23102 on the rear bottom baseplate where the lightmeter needle falls down when the battery is empty).

Thanks

ermali

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check the battery. if the battery is ok, be sure to bring all way up the metering button, which is on the top left of the camera body, near the lens. sometimes when you put the lens on A (which is for automatic dof preview) the needle will work erratically, don't know why.

Pedro O

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your reply ermali, but the meter is definitely broke.
I was planning on buying a backup body anyway, but i can't find any SP's for the moment. And since there's a whole array of Pentaxes out there, I was wondering which resemble the Spotmatic SP the most internally.

paul ron

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter in the K1000 is the same and can be used in the Spotmatic. I am not sure if the newer K1000s are the same but the older ones are.

Terry

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The light meter from the K1000 can be used with some wiring modification, but it could be a corroded wire coming from the battery box to the pc board. We repair many of the older Pentax cameras at my repair shop in southeastern PA., Southern Exposure Camera Repair.

Ed

Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you will find the meters are different since the Spotmatic is stop down metering and the k1000 is wide open metering--operating off the diaphragm ring. 2 wire-three, wire meters. As mentioned above, you probably could get one to work with wiring modifcation.

George Dean

Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Spotmatic meter problem: on an old Spotmatic F, the meter responds when the shutter speed dial is operated, but NOT when the lens aperture is altered. The lens is okay, as it works the meter properly on another Spot F.
Has anyone any ideas on this problem please?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration