Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica Minolta Dimage XG lens cover q... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Konica Minolta Dimage XG lens cover question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alicia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Dimage Xg, and last night I dropped it while the lens cover was open. When I picked it up i noticed that the lens cover moved freely over the lens if I turned the camera upside down and sounded a bit loose. I was wondering if the lens cover is supposed to be able to move up and down if turned upside down, or if the drop somehow made it come loose. When i turn the camera off, the lens shuts and stays shut, so that seems to be working fine. So i'm just wondering about when the lens is open.

Martin

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People here usually work on older mechanical film cameras not digicams so I doubt you'll find anyone who has worked on the XG. However, I bought my wife a X31 for Christmas to replace here APS elph as her purse camera so I can answer your question at least.

The lens cover should not move freely over the lense when you turn the camera upside down. Dropping cameras rarely does them much good. As you seem to be saying that the camera works OK in every other respect I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you can get it fixed under warrenty. These little cameras are slippery little buggers. I always use the supplied wrist strap when using them.

Regards - Martin

Oliver

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How to fix you lense cover! I just fixed mine!

Dimage xg only

Remove the battery/piece of string/memory card.

1) Using a very small philips screwdriver, remove all of the screws surrounding the casing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The screws are not all the same length. Make a drawing of which ones go where to avoid confusion.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't make something fit, use the correct tool. It will cost less than drilling out a damaged screw or a new camera.

2) Carefully lift off the front cover, (and this should be simple, there should be no or very very little resistance, DO NOT PROSE THE CASING OFF, you'll probably damage it. If there is resistance, then there is a screw you haven't removed.

3) Look just below the lens cover. You should see a litle arm with a slot in it, and a very small pin (lump/boss/nob) on the bottom of the lense cover.
The slotted hole on the little arm should have the pin sitting in it. So that when the arm swings it pulls down the cover.

Using something very thin (<0.5mm), VERY GENTLY prise the arm over the pin. If you prise it too much, you'll damage the arm, only lift it so that it just fits on the little pin.

4) Very gently put the casing back into place, and insert all the screws.

(IMPORTANT NOTE! The screws are not all the same length, only some fit into certain holes.)

5) End.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration