Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-370 mirror is stuck up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-370 mirror is stuck up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Josh Phillips

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had borrowed a Minolta X-370 camera from my father in law a few days ago, and was just testing it out without film for a while (making sure I knew how to use it before burning money). It was working happily for a while until, during one shot, the mirror went up but never came back down.

Switching the camera off and on will bring back the light meter (you can see the red LEDs in the viewfinder), but pressing the shutter button kills it again - as if the camera turns off. Then you have to turn it off and on again to bring it back to life.

I can easily pull the mirror back down with my finger, but it springs right back up. The shutter is completely closed. The film advance lever won't move. I've already tried new batteries; the viewfinder LEDs indicate full power.

Luckily, my father in law will not kill me if I've busted his camera, but if there's a quick fix I'll give it a shot. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Henry

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Resetting the camera seems to often fix these X-series Minoltas. Just do a search in the archives to find out how. If you can't figure it out I'll send a pic I send to lots of newbies showing where the wind lock is located.

Hey, maybe I should show an unlocking of a Minolta as a repair article!

Henry

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That might not be a bad idea, Henry. I've never run into this myself.... with an all-mechanical camera I'll tear into just about anything, but when they're electronic there's this tempting urge to just say "aw, chuck it...."

: ) =

Henry

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That urge has come upon me a couple times Rick. In fact I've succumbed to it more than once. But I hate to see these old beauties die.

As for resetting, it certainly isn't a fix. It is only a postponement. But it should be everyones first step when they get a new camera in their hands. Did I say "new"? Well, new old...

Btw Rick, I'm getting fairly salty at Solidworks. You guys trash the program yet?

Henry

Josh Phillips

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found it!

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/2541.html?1093049238

I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks!

Kris R.

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably need to replace the shutter release capacitor. A pretty simple job.

Makoto

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to your description, this is definitely the shutter release capacitor which is located under the bottom cover. It is a 220µF, 10 V should be sufficient. As a replacement, be sure to get the smallest version available.

David Watton

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same problem but I live nowhere near a camera shop and have no experience repairing cameras. What can I do?

Josh

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a follow-up, I've found that I can unlock the mechanism in two ways (both of which require removing the baseplate to access the stuff inside).

The first is to release the film advance lock and wind the film forward. This resets the mechanism, but then I need to wind forward again to cock the shutter. This results in skipping a frame, but at least I don't waste the roll.

The other option involves the lever that runs from the middle of the base to the winder (sorry I don't know the name of it. :-) ). When you wind the film, that lever cocks, and it should normally spring back toward the winder when the shutter fires. Trouble is, it doesn't. But you can pull the lever all the way away from the winder (about 1/16"), let go, and it will spring back into the winder. Sometimes you need to do it a few times before it springs back. The mirror closes, and no film is sacrificed.

Anyways, given this info, is it still likely a capacitor problem? Does it have any relation to the rear shutter curtain closing two-thirds of the way as the front curtain opens?

Ted Elder

Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,I have a minolta X-370.It worked fine till we switched lens and the little thing at the bottom of where you would put the lens at on the camera body,that opens and shuts the mirrow as the len is twisted on the body has broken off and was wondering if there is a replacement part that i can do myself and where would i get one and how do i replace it if possiblely can be a self do-it peoject?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration