Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter/Lens Compatibility Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Shutter/Lens Compatibility « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Melhuish

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an idle thought on shutter & lens compatibility with folding cameras.
When these cameras were designed was the chosen shutter housing tailored to suit a particular lens design or were the shutters just standard "off the shelf" items with the lens designed to suit the supplied housing?
Or alternatively, is it possible to swap lens elements from one type of shutter to another?
Just curious!
Colin.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In most cases the manufacturers used off-the-shelf shutters. Sometimes they used special nameplates (with the camera manufacturer's logo etc) but basically the shutters are the same.

I think there are no official standards but most shutter manufacturers kept to certain dimensions concerning distance front flange - rear flange, body thickness, front and rear thread diameter (both are the same on most shutters) and location of the release levers.

I am currently (i.e. in long intervalls) working on replacing an old Welter shutter on a Petri MF rangefinder by a german Prontor II shutters. The original shutter had a smaller rear thread (and thus the hole in the standard is a bit small) but I think I have someone to make a thread adapter.

Also, at least many german cameras were available with sometimes a dozen or more lens/shutter combos. Usually it is the same set of lens elements just fitted to a different shutter. The bodies usually are identical, i.e. the spreader mechanism length etc.

Some cameras have more special shutter modifications. On the french Telka III camera there is a Prontor II shutter with an integrated exposure calculator. Also, it does not have inner threads on the front and rear lens tube but outer threads since the lens elements are larger than usual and could not be fastened with inner retainer ring.

There is a list of the most important shutter dimensions of several sizes on the S.K. Grimes website.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration