Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Re-attaching Minolta SRT201 film adva... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Re-attaching Minolta SRT201 film advance plastic lever tip « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While trying to repair my camera the plastic(polyethylene?) black tip on the film advance lever broke off. Actually, the thing snapped off in one piece and the only thing broken are the two tiny screws(snaps) on the plastic that held it in place. The plastic and lever are still intact. Can anyone recommend a clear, strong glue to bond the pieces together? The surfaces of both parts are pretty smooth and they seem to fit tight. Any help would be appreciated. Lee Y

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think what you have is a case where the plastic had two pins that went thru the lever and were heat melted over. I guess I would try either super glue or expoy.

Lee Crump

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of the 4 SRTs I have only one still has the plastic tip on the film advance lever. This is consistant with the used SRTs you will find on Ebay. Loss of this tip poses no functionality issues.
If you are still bent on reattaching the tip I would suggest the use of screws. Many glues have problems bonding plastics to metals. Additionally, glue applied to small areas does a poor job resisting shear. To use screws you will need to drill out the plastic tip to recieve a VERY small sheetmetal/wood screw. If you are concerned about the screw marring the top cover the screw closest to shutter release button will need to set flush with the botom of the film advance lever.
Personally I'm to lazy to attempt any of this.
Keep plugging away and don't give up.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd use a contact cement...Pliobond would do it, or any other non-water based contact cement (Weldwood, etc). First, make sure the little plastic pegs that are still there will fit smoothly into the holes. Next, apply a thin coat of adhesive to both surfaces, allow to dry and press the two pieces together. I'll be surprised if you lose the tip if you get a nice bond.

Jon

Lee

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your advices. I'll give it a shot. Lee C., your encouragements keep me going. Lee Y.

Harlee

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the past, from experience, whenever I picked up a Minolta sRt series camera, the first thing I did was to put a drop or two of superglue where the plactic tip fits onto to the metal lever. Since then, I've never lost another one. Personally, I dab some superglue on the lever and put the tip back on, that simple!

David

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a guy on the internet who makes and sells replacement tips for the SRT.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration