Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can anyone tell me the problem with m... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Can anyone tell me the problem with my camera? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dee88

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kodak dx 4330, recently my LCD screen went out and now only a white screen appears when I power up. The pictures I take are stored onto the memory stick, but I can not review them on the LCD screen. Has anyone ever heard of this problem happening on other LCD screens or Kodak cameras? And is there any guess on how much this would cost to get it fixed? It costs $50 just to get it checked out and the salesman told me it probably would not be worth fixing (although he is a salesman....). Thank you anyone and everyone who can give any sort of help at all.

henry

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a new camera. I know this sounds cold-blooded, but it's true. These digitals only value is the pics they can take WHEN they are working. When they stop working, trash them and get the next latest, greatest electro-plastic whizbang.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your other option is to keep using it without the LCD. It still works, and you can always review them on your computer. I never even look at the LCD screen on the back of my Nikon F.....

: ) =

P Laskey

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My advice is get a good 35mm film compact. Simpler, more reliable, cheaper than a new digital and will last years. Many dealers still have stocks although few new ones are being made.
PL

Nick

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless you're taking macros, why use the LCD screen at all? It just uses up the batteries way too quickly. I never turn my LCD screen on unless I'm shooting close range.

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately some digital cameras require a working LCD screen to select among the thousand and two possible settings. (I am beginning to have problems with mine.)

Dee88

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is exactly what I am concerned about Charlie, thanks everyone. I am more concerned about the cost of getting it fixed, if it only cost $100, I think it would be worth the fix if it last me another year or so. If anyone has an idea of a price range I would appreciate it.

Marek Lewandowski

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if You can get hold of a decent service manual, or at least if it seems obvious vhere the screws are ;P you may try disassembling it and try to reconnect tat ribbon band that feeds the video signal to the LCD. Whiteout means the CCFL backlight still works, but TFT does not get it's power... or is dead, but one can help little in this case - it's replacement, not repair...

Rob

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Learn basic photography, and start using a mechanical 35 mm. You'll find it that much more rewarding when you see the whole film come out nicely. Film is cheap enough, and developing doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either. You won't need batteries unless you want to take flash pictures, and older cameras are plentiful, and getting cheaper. Digital cameras are the market's latest attempt to make everything idiot proof. Funny thing. The easier they make everything, the less prepared we are when things go south. I recently picked up a German camera on E-Bay for $12.00. Believe me, it was worth it.

Marek Lewandowski

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did I, but old stuff needs love ;P
I shoot anyway primarily digital - got meself the EOS 300D toy - it's much easier to learn photography this way. Not to master, I mean to learn. There are no variables in the development that remain 'secret' as e.g. what minilabs do to print film. In digital, if it's screwed, you see clearly what you screwed, AND at the same time you have a full record of all the settings of your camera: ISO, F-stop, focal length, shtterspeed, etc etc - the EXIF record.
Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration