Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Albinar lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Albinar lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Chamberlain

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 135mm Albinar tele lens. Its auto aperture isn't working and is stuck in the open position. I suspect it just needs to be cleaned. I don't want to go buy another lens just yet, but I've accepted that it might go wrong and the worth of the lens doesn't warrant a repair shop. Does anyone have experience with opening the front mount with these before I head into it?

Much appreciated,
Eric Chamberlain

rick

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have experience with this lens. Typically, though, you go in through the front... often the front ring with the name on it unscrews and either reveals other fasteners below or just lets the front cell unscrew. All of the glass in front of the diaphragm should unscrew as a unit, though it will also be possible to remove individual glass elements from the cell (i don't advise doing that).

If you haven't done this sort of thing before, I don't recommend disassembling the diaphragm blades themselves as they can be very frustrating to try to get back in. Once you can reach the diaphragm, try to persuade the blades to stop down to the smallest opening and clean off visible oil with a cotton swab wetted with lighter fluid. Repeat this over and over, operating the blades between treatments, using fresh wet and then dry swabs until the blades are clean and dry. You can do this better and more easily if you unscrew the rear glass as well as the front and go at it from both sides. It will take some time, and it will not be as perfect as if you had totally disassembled the parts for cleaning; but you won't risk ending up with a Tupperware full of loose parts and no lens either.

I have notes on Nikkor lenses at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-102.html - however, different brands of lenses are different in construction so you will not be able to take these too literally.

good luck!

rick : ) =

Eric Chamberlain

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, thats good reading. I'm mostly uncertain because through all I've read, the fasteners are inside of the name ring. But on this lens there are two screws on the outside of the moving barrel, spaced 180 and about where the lens would be. Like me, do you think this is just a different placement for the screws in this lens.

Thanks,
Eric Chamberlain

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration