Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Collet wrench for leica m Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Collet wrench for leica m « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

aizan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to replace the M2's all metal advance lever with a plastic tipped one. Is a 15.9mm collet wrench ok? That's the closest size on Micro-Tools, seems a little large.

aizan

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

flexiclamp, ack

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought they had a specific one for it.

aizan

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They have a set with two other flexiclamps for $50. I only need the one, though.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried using a rubber-faced wooden dowel to unscrew the ring? I've managed with it, haven't ever bought the flexiclamp.

: ) =

henry

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A collet wrench will work fine if there isn't an inside chamfer. The M2's ring is very thin. A regular flexiclamp will work. You don't need the thin rimmed brass Leica clamp for the winder ring. There is plenty of room for the standard thick flexiclamp.

But if this is the ONLY time you plan on working on a camera AND if you are VERY careful not to mar anything a simple automotive worm-driven hose clamp will work.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aizan,

These rings tend to be very tight. As Henry says, be VERY, VERY careful using the hose clamp.
I had a special aluminium flexi clamp made for this purpose - it is stronger than the Micro Tools fibre flexi clamps and will not mar the chrome finish of the shutter guard.

I was sometimes successful with a thick rubber sheet, pressed down on the ring to unscrew it. Make sure the shutter is not partially cocked, so that the release can freely move down.

By the way, what are you planning to do with the old metal lever?

Good luck,

Jan

henry

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Jan says, aluminum flexiclamps work great. In fact I made one just for this camera. It isn't that hard, though it is very time consuming if you don't have a mill. I don't have a mill...but my machinst friend next door does! I drilled the proper size hole then drew an outline of the wrench and milled around the outline.

aizan

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just tried a rubber tipped dowel. The rubber washer I used is kind of shiny and not really sticky, didn't work at all. I'll drop by the hardware store and get some rubber stoppers and a hose clamp.

Unfortunately, I don't have a milling machine or know anyone who does. *teardrop* And I'm trading levers so it's already spoken for. Sorry Jan!

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aizan,

Shucks! I thought I would add a nice touch to my M6, but wasn't really holding my breath.... If going the hose clamp route, put some protective tape around the shutter release guard so you don't scratch the advance lever.

Good luck,

Jan
**************************************************************************************

Henry,

That is exactly how my aluminium clamps were born! I have them for the eyepieces of screwmount Leicas, sync sockets and rear eyepices of M's etc. Work great and are safe.

Jan

aizan

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sigh* The hardware stop didn't have rubber stoppers, only cork, which didn't work. And the darn hose clamp doesn't grip tight enough before it pops off. I'll look elsewhere for a rubber stopper...

henry

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had good luck with a hoseclamp before I got the flexiclamp set. They were the fiber ones so for really tight stuff I had to make a few aluminum ones.

But I never used tape to protect the ring. I was just sure to get the tiniest clamp I could find and ...wait, I just had an idea. Go to your local camera fix-it shop and let them remove it. Bet they'd do it for $5!

Henry

John Shriver

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't need a mill to make a flexiclamp. Just aluminum, a jeweler's saw (with blades), a divider, and an appropriate file for final finishing. Mark the circle with the divider, perhaps using some magic marker first to provide contrast for the scribed circle. Cut a wedge into the circle, and cut near the circle, with the jeweler's saw. Now file to the marked circle. Grip and use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration