Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII won't advance film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canonet GIII won't advance film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ezio

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shutter cocks and fires, frame counter advances, but both the take-up spool and the advance gear don't move at all. They can both be easily turned by hand without resistance, so this is not a case of something being gummed up or stuck. Removing the bottom cover revealed the obvious: while the wheel + lever assembly that cocks the shutter works OK, the geared wheel under it (linked to the take up spool) doesn't move. Removing the top cover failed to produce any highlight (quite possibly because I don't know where to look); even a close comparison with a working GIII didn't show any difference. So, what is my next step???

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

has the rewind-release button on the bottom gotten stuck in the disengaged position?

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, no. This was the first thing I checked - I should have said that.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems like something in the rewind release system is out of place, or else the pawl between that and the sprocket might be worn out: you should not be able to turn the sprocket with your fingers.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration