Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya DTL 1000 help needed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mamiya DTL 1000 help needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Victor

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice working Mamiya DTL 1000 with the following problem:
To open the bottom of the camera, you need to unscrew 4 small screws and a small metal cap with two small wholes on top of the vertical rod, that used to block/unblock the winding gear, when you rewind the film. Yesterday I was trying to open the camera, and unscrew this small shiny metal cap in the regular anti clockwise direction, and it got loose and broke. Was it a left screw or something, or I was doing something wrong?
Is it possible to fix it, find/make a new screw cap and so on? A small piece of the screw is left inside the rod (tube). Any suggestion or help would be be appreciated.
Regards, -Victor

Gary Turner

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor,

On my DTL 1000 that little cap screw is removed clock-wise (to the right). That's just the opposite direction of the same type cap screw on my Minolta SR-7! At least the rewind function will still function without the cap screw. I think many cameras like these have their cap screws broken off. Many cameras use a button that falls free when you remove bottom plate; that solves one problem and creates another (lost buttons).

Removing the tiny broken stud? Hope someone else has a better easy answer. Suppose one can try to drill it out with a fine drill & dremel type drill and / or using an easy-out if they are made in such small sizes? Would have to be careful not to destroy the inner threads. Some naphtha might help loosen that broken stud.

I have a few cameras with the same problem. An aggravation.

Steve

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a junk 1000DTL that has an intact cap screw. If I am assuming correctly, it's the one that you press to allow the film to be rewound. It is indeed a reverse thread that has two holes to allow a special spanner wrench or something similar to remove it. I'm not sure how you're going to get the screw out of there, but if you do, you're welcome to my cap screw. It's off a black body, so it's brass with some of the black paint worn off it. Maybe if you use a pencil eraser or similar rubber object and press on it and turn it clockwise with a bit of force, you can get it out. Let me know here on this thread and I'll mail it to you. You don't get an offer like that every day, do ya?

Victor

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Steve, and Gary for the help,
if Steve could send me this cap,
it would be wonderful,
I will email him my address.
Regards, -Victor

herron

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might also consider U.T. Photo, in California. They are a registered service facility for old Mamiya 35mm cameras, and might have the part (which is indeed a left-hand thread).

http://www.utphoto.com

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The threaded stub should be loose unless it has bottomed in the hole.Get a small jewellers screwdriver and sharpen,push or tap into broken stub to get grip and unscrew.If it has bottomed,cut a fine slot across both the pushrod and stub then use small screw driver.The very thin cutting discs for dremel or similar are ideal for this.If the cap screw was properly engineered the head should have been in contact with the pushrod and not the threaded portion in the bottom of the hole.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration