Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus RD: removal of lens element p... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus RD: removal of lens element per Henry Taber « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nate

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I am trying to remove the lens element on an Olympus RD. I am following Henry Taber's instructions and I am running into a very tightly attached lens assembly. Does anyone have any ideas (short of Henry's hammer and drift technique) for removal of the lens? Does the lens come off attached to a cylinder which screws into the shutter assembly?

Thanks,

Nate

henry

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nate, have you made a special tool? Mine was so tight the tool stripped it. Was lucky even the drift was able to knock it loose.

Henry

Nate

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Henry,

I really appreciate this website...

The lens assembly looks kind of like a coke bottle top. Does this assembly have threads? How does it thread into whatever is underneath it? Would it be possible to heat up the metal sides of the lens assembly with a microtorch - which would expand the metal on the lens assembly and make it easier to remove?

Regards,

Nate

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the 35RD you first have to remove everything that is removable from the front of the lens barrel. The base of the front lens cell has two notches. I also encountered very tight ones but up to now I could loosen the cell with a standard spanner tool.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration