Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can't calibrate Canon QL17 rangefinde... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Can't calibrate Canon QL17 rangefinder. Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher J.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a Canonet QL17. The rangefinder was off, so tonight I decided to calibrate it.

I didn't have any problem with adjusting the vertical axis, but the horizontal axis seems to be impossible to calibrate. With the lens focused to infinity on a distant object, (about 75 ft.) I'm unable to move the left 'ghost' image far enough to the right such that the double image merges. Since it's an eccentric assembly, turning the screw farther (clockwise, in my case) just makes the left-side image start to move AWAY.

Is there any remedy for this? Why are the images not aligning?

BTW, I checked focus with another RF I own, a Vivitar 35ES. The double image merges properly at infinity when focused on a street lamp down the road. The QL17 does not.

-CJ

Ed

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess if it were me, the first thing I would do is varify the focus of the lens. You can shoot some--wide open at measured distances or if you have access to a piece ground glass and a small magnifier--be sure ground glass fits on the proper rails--and set the shutter at manual B and wide open and check that way.

rick

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the adjustment won't go far enough, i guess you'll have to take the top off and figure out why. it's probably possible to shift the range by moving the assembly, or a mirror mount, or something.....

rick

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi CJ:

In the photo http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/canonet-topinside.jpg note that the right hand RF mirror is on a bracket that is attached to the deck with a couple of screws. You can probably shift the RF image by loosening these screws and moving the mirror a bit. This will screw up your vertical alignment too, so you'll have to readjust that afterwards.

Before doing this, while you're inside it probably makes sense to look around at the rest of it and see if you can figure out what has caused it to go so far out of adjustment in the first place.

rick

CJ

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick and others for your advice. I appreciate the info.

I'm going to take the plunge and open the top cover. I've never done that before, but between the info from this board & site I'm hoping I can have a look around in there without making the thing FUBAR.

Reiner

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The viewfinder/rangefinder of the Canonet GIIIs can be easily removed when you have the top cap off. Withdraw the flash connector and 4 (or 3?) big screws near the edges of the component. Then you can carefully take out the whole unit. On it's bottom side you may find pivot shafts, bearings and arms. It is possible to do a rough calibration of the RF there and the fine tuning when it is mounted again. I once had one QL19 with uncorrect RF because the mechanism was sticky. A carefull CLA made the RF usefull again. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration