Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

HELP! Minolta X 300 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » HELP! Minolta X 300 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ruggero

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone help with this problem:
I get a light burn band on the film/slide.
Please see it at

http://www.bicnet.it/~rr/Infiltration/Infiltration.jpg

- The problem occurs randomly on about 50% of the shots in a roll.
- The stripe appears always on the same section of the slide (left side).
- The color stripe may sometimes be red, pink, or even yellow.
- Tried switching lenses but it seems to do it with both.
-It did not do it before, then it started doing it.

Any idea of what the cause may be?
Thanks for any help!
Ruggero

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buon giorno, Ruggero.
You have a light leak. Light is striking the back side of the film in the right hand side of your camera (remember the image is "flipped" as it is imprinted onto the film). It is a slow leak, and that is why only 50% of your pictures are affected. (the longer the film sits idle, the more light hits it, so pictures taken in quick sequence may not show the leak...capite?) Most commonly, this is because of a bad light seal at the hinge end, but it could also be from the seal along the top or bottom of the film door slots on the body. If you want a kit to fix this, I can send you one for only $6 + 80 cents postage (to Italy), and I can send you instructions in Italian, also. Here...you can see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=3867371936

If this kit is sold, please go to E-Bay and search using the "Items by Seller" option. Type in my ID...Interslice...and presto!
Ciao!
Jon

Ruggero

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jon
You have been very exhaustive in your reply and I thank you! I am happy that I can save this camera.
One more question: do you think anybody can replace the seals, even with no experience of overhauling a camera?

Getting one of your kits would be ideal, but I don't know how to quickly get money to the US, since I don't have a Credit card and don't use PayPal. Perhaps I could do a Wester Union transfer? I noticed a branch near where I work (in Rome).
I think I'll try to see if I can get it serviced locally first, now that I know what the prob is...
If not, I'll save this message and I will write you again.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to give me some advice!

If you'd like to mail me direct, feel free to do it at
[email protected]
All the best!
Ruggero

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Ruggero. Yes, definitely you can replace the light seals yourself! People who have never done anything like this buy my kits all the time, and they have great success with them. The instructions in the kit are complete with several images, and it is not difficult at all. I will send you a personal e:mail with a suggestion on how you can get the kit quickly.
Jon

Stevan Brown

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruggero, I have to say...Jon really knows what he's talking about, and he is VERY helpful with the whole process. I purchased a kit from him about a month ago, and I have never (In my total of 9 years on Ebay) had a seller who was more helpful.

Have a great day!
Stevan Brown (tebe70)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration