Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica O series time setting knob Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Leica O series time setting knob « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Teddy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can anyone explain the time setting knob on the Leica O series. On my camera it seems loose and I cannot depress the outer ring to key into a different time setting. From the short summary instruction booklet I cannot understand the resetting so that the red bar corresponds with the index.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lift the speed dial and set it against the speed index. Make sure that you only set the shutter speed with the shutter wound.

Jan

Teddy

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jan I'll try it. however this sounds contrary to the instructions.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teddy,

There is no such thing as a 'red bar' on a Leica 0 series. What is the serial number of your camera?

All thread mount Leica shutters have to be set after having been wound. Which 'instructions' are
you referring to?

Good luck,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teddy,

I thought about your problem with the Leica, and believe I came up with an answer.

First of all - I don't think you have an Null Series Leica (0 Series). Not too many of these around......

Secondly - I belive you are referring to the SLOW speed dial, which is on the front of the camera. It would be good if you gave me the serial number of the camera; I will than be able to determine the model and give you exact instructions.

Jan

Teddy

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan:
It's an 'Oscar Barnack Edition' serial #3002310. The outer ring of the time setting knob depresses, it cannot be raised. There is a red dot in the middle knob which I gather is supposed to align with the white bar of the base plate.
I emailed the manufacturer but have had no response, and I do not want to force anything, in case it damages something.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Teddy,

The Oskar Barnack edition is a reproduction of the Null series camera. It does not have a self-capping shutter and the attached lens cap has to be put on the lens when advancing the film/cocking the shutter.

That however, should have nothing to with the setting of the shutter. It still can only be set when fully wound. I will have to find a detailed picture of your camera's top to see if I can decipher what you are referring to.

Good luck,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I correct in assuming that there are two dials - one to set the width of the slit, the other to set the tension on the shutter? Combination of both would vary the shutter speed.

Jan

teddy

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thnks Jan. no there is only one dial to set time, on top of the base. width of slit cannot be set.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFAIK the Leica (even the 0 series) change the width of the slit only, NOT the spring tension.

teddy

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, sorry you are correct the width of the slit changes

Robert Klein

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to set the shutter you have to wind the advance knob until the red dot on the shutter dial is opposite the index line,which is to the left of the shutter dial.then,and only then you depress the outer rim of the dial and turn it until the peg under the dial lines up with the hole corresponding to the slit width you desire.now you let the rim of the dial rise up until the peg engages in the hole,now finish winding the shutter,remembering to keep the lens cap on for this entire procedure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration