Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Unsticking Konica Auto S2 aperture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Unsticking Konica Auto S2 aperture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I'm new to tinkering with classic cameras, and I have a Konica Auto S2 that has a sluggish timer and an aperture that appears to be stuck at f/16.

I've read the excellent page, (Kar Yan Mak's S1.6 Repair Adventure) but I'm not clear on how to go in through the front of the lens to clean the aperture leaves. Can anybody offer any advice? At the top of Kar Yan's S1.6 page, there a picture of the camera with what appers to be the front lens element taken out...but I can't figure out how this was done--the bezel that reads "Konica...Hexanon...etc." is still in place.

Also, please clarify: What does 'right handed', 'left handed' screw mount mean? Does 'right handed' mean that to UNscrew something, it involves a left-handed turn?

Thanks,

-CJ

M Currie

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ordinary screws are right-handed, meaning that as you face the screw's head, you screw clockwise to tighten, couterclockwise to loosen. A left-handed screw is the reverse of this, so to UNscrew it you would go clockwise.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes on the S2; email me if you'd like a copy.

: ) =

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right in your last assumption.
Yes, indeed Kar Yan Mak's "Repair Adventure" is very informative and has helped me a lot when I started tinkering! What worries you (the "bezel" installed without the front element of the lens) was probably put back for the photo to give you an impression of how things go together. I guess if you do not understand technical expressions, more pictures will perhaps help, so take a look at Mick Feuerbacher's repair tips on the S & S2 (he calls his tinkering an "overhaul")elsewhere on the net (on Japanese websites there are also excellent pics illustrating difficult tasks, texts are somewhat confusing if translated by autotranslation), just follow what you see,and trust your intuition, it probably offers the best advice there is. Learning by doing, that is what makes life worth living.

CJ

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok,

Upon looking more closely at the front of the lens, and specifically the shiny ring, it appears that I'm going to need to purchase a lens/ring spanner from microtools.com. The ring appears to have to indentations on it that appear to be made for this kind of tool. Is that a correct assumption?

-CJ

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will need a spanner for the front retaining ring. You can either buy one or make one, but if you don't have a standard one already I'd go ahead and buy one, it will be handy in the future.

: ) =

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration