Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Are all Copal SVL shutters the same? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Are all Copal SVL shutters the same? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Graflex Century 35N (made by Kowa) with a broken aperture blade, and I'm not yet confident enough to try to repair it. It has a Copal SVL shutter, the same as my Minister I. I want to put the shutter ass. with the good aperture blades on the Century. But will any two Copal SVL shutters have the same dimensions? Or will there be differences in lens mounting threads/diameters, or differences that will affect focusing? Does it make a difference that the Century has a faster lens (Kowa Prominar f2) than the Minister (f2.8)?
thanks, scott

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would not assume them to be the same. They were made in a few standard sizes, within each size they would accept the same lens cells... yours may or may not be the same size, and there could also be other detail differences that might cause you some difficulty. You could try, though, you'll find out soon enough.

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is similar as with the german Prontor shutters. Especially on 35mm cameras they come in a lot of varieties. I know at least three basic versions of the Prontor SVS shutters, and the repair manual mentions some internal changes, too (which makes it impossible to swap these parts between shutters).

If the shutters have same dimensions (check the thread dimensions for the lens cells) you probably can swap some parts or subassemblies, such as shutter blades, aperture assembly etc. The shutter manufacturers sometimes made their shutters 'to measure', i.e. according to camera manufacturers' specifications concerning cocking mechanism, (automatic) aperture mechanism etc.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The maximum aperture does make a difference. The diaphragm cover usually has a hole cut to match the maximum lens aperture. If your replacement is smaller then you can't open up the lens to maximum.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration