Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stiff focus on Rokkor 58mm/1.4 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Stiff focus on Rokkor 58mm/1.4 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gregarpp

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the lens I have with my SRT.
Once again, looks like it was never used.

I tried to heat the lens with the hair drier.
Almost too hot to touch (all metal lens)

I worked the focus, it got better while hot.
When it cooled down, it is a bit better, but not any good.

What would I use to remove old lubricant and what lubricant to replace?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naphtha soaked into an old rag is good to clean the helical threads. As for lubricant, you'll see several "damping" greases out there for all sorts of applications, but common automotive wheel bearing grease is a pretty good choice. TS Moly Grease is also good. Be careful when you separate the threaded halves. They have to go back in exactly the same spot, or your focus will be lost. Sometimes you can clean and lubricate a lens fairly well without separating into pieces...if you can work into the back and front area. This is sort of hard to explain, though.

Jon

Marek Lewandowski

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one can get to the threads, just drop a drop of fine light oil every ~90 degrees (distribute 3-5 drops evenly around the circumference) onto the threads. Work the lens a bit, so that the oil distributes and leave overnight. Work it a bit again and wait again. If it did not improve, try replacing grease...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration