Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb shutter fails with film loaded Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon FTb shutter fails with film loaded « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank Herberger

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently got an old FTb (new version) which just looks great and seems not to be used very frequently. Especially for this reason, I released the shutter a lot before actually purchasing it, so that I can see if it works correctly. Without any film inside the camera, all times just work fine, even those <1/60.

However, as soon as I put a film into the camera, the shutter behaves strange. The first curtain opens, but the second curtain does not fully do its job. It just gets stuck and the mirror stays upwards.

After some fiddling, I found out, that, as soon as tension is applied to the sprocket (due to the loaded film), the shutter is blocked somehow. What is it exactly and what can I do to resolve this issue?

Regards, Frank

Jim Murray

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an FTbn and had occasional mirror malfunction
due to deteriorated foam that acts to cushion the
mirror when it is up. The mirror would not return,
but as far as I know the shutter was not affected.
While this may not be your problem it is easy
enough to check out with the lens removed. Jim.

Ed

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the bottom and look for clutch spring at the bottom of the rewind release button. There is a loop in the spring and a locking screw--loosen the screw and then wind the camera holding the wind lever tight and then tighten the screw. This may solve your prolem

Frank Herberger

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim: No, this is definitely not my problem since the camera did not have any foam above the mirror at all. I've just installed a fresh piece.

Ed: I am not sure which spring you are referring to. I uploaded a picture of my FTb to the following location:
http://www.nom-online.de/blende/FTB-Spring.jpg

If you are talking about the spring I circled in red, that did not solve my problem unfortunately.

Greg Bramer

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Ftb that once belonged to my father. The shutter hangs up at 500 or above shutter speed causing varying blacked out areas on the prints. Is there a way to resolve this?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration