Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica stx1n Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Fujica stx1n « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted regarding the possibility of swapping the speed dial off a fujica stx1 to a fujica stx1n. I got no response. Left to my own devices, I decided rather than possibly destroy the stx1 speed dial, I would endevour to make a new dial.
A British 5 pence piece exactly fitted the top of the speed dial, with a centre hole, a filed cut out to show the asa ring figure, and a mini self taper and a washer, repair is finished. Speeds can be read in view finder, and whilst the repair not for the purist is adequate for the user. This may help others.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Mick. I'm impressed at the "can-do" approach you've taken to your problem, and I'm also happy you were able to make it work. Unfortunately, the economics work against us in the USA. Since the decimalization act of 1971 there have been (give or take) 100 Pence to the pound, and that quid is worth almost $2 US, so 1/20 of that would be...well, using my public school math and all my remaining fingers and toes, I'm getting a figure of about $.01 for your repair. On face value, this sounds encouraging, but wait--your 5 pence coin is 18mm in diameter, or the same size as our dime (10 cent piece). See? We're going to get screwed out of 9 cents doing this. We never come out ahead on these international currency transactions.
Jon

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Since the Canadian Dollar is worth about .80 US, and the coins are exactly the same size, I would recommend using Canadian coinage to save some money.

On the other hand, a Czech 10 Heller piece (1/10th of a Czech Crown) would make the repair very economical. 1 CZK = 0.043 US$, hence 10 Heller repair would cost only 0.0043 US$.

I will be visiting Prague in the fall and will be happy to bring any quantity of this highly useful item to all interested parties.

All the best,

Jan

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Jan! That is an excellent idea and economically sound.

So, now we need to make a computer program to print the shutter speeds onto a sticky-backed paper disk and we can repair these Fujicas for pennies...er, Hellers. Hopefully you will enjoy Prague. I have been told it is beautiful. Do you speak Czech?

Jon

mick

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well.... that brought some response.....incidently, if I put the camera down everyone takes a look at it.... some say 'is it worth 5 pence ?'

Now, if I manage to clean the viewing screen on the other Fujica, perhaps by not taking the top off, but by removing lens and drilling hole the size of a ball point pen end stub in the screen housing, inserting a pipe cleaner and appropiate cleaning fluid, what price pipecleaners and ball point pens..... will the economy suffer I ask

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration