Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-7A Won't Power Up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-7A Won't Power Up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ray Schwartz

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all:

My X-7A had the release "capacitor problem" last year and I repaired it by purchasing 220 mfd 4V electrolytic caps from fargo's microtools.

I have used a few rolls of film since, and all was fine--most recently Christmas time. This is my "backup" body.

Now the X-7A will not power up at all, no lights inside, no shutter release, no self timer, etc. I changed the batteries for fresh, no good. (checked old ones with meter, they still have 70% of the current of new.) No corrosion in battery compartment, but cleaned the contacts anyway, nothing. I took the bottom cover off, looking for broken wires, corrosion, the repair of the capacitor coming undone, but all looks good.

What would be the next few steps anyone might suggest? I am pretty handy (pc technician, former heathkit builder, made some of my own circuit boards, etc....) but I am not an experienced camera repair technician. As the body, in excellent +++ condition is worth about $10 on ebay in this condition, I might as well try to fix it. I can get the Tomosy (sp?) books from the library and found a good German site that has excellent photos of the disassembly of the X-700 (should be similar in the X-7A).

Some guidance as to where the most likely targets lie is requested. Thank you all!

Ray

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Ray. It sounds as though you've suffered a circuit break somewhere. I would get a handheld tester and start tracing power. First, I'd remove the base plate (leave the battery cap attached) and look at the circuit board which is to the left of the battery holder. There should be a red wire coming from the battery box over to that board. From there, I think you'll be able to tell where power is and where it isn't. There were also three capacitors used upstairs on some of the X-series cameras. These can fail, also. I have them, and I'm happy to sell them at my cost plus the cost to ship (shouldn't be over 60 cents or so). Good luck, and please let us know.

Jon

Ray

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Jon! I'll keep the capacitors in mind. For those of you who might not know this camera body, it is essentially (perhaps IS) identical to the X-370, only all black. I'm told that it was for the Japanese market only but there seem to be more than a few around.

I guess I'll get the DMM out...

The X-7A does not have that 2nd shutter release capacitor upstairs but has others (mirror release magnet for one).

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 300 and 370 models were made in China for Minolta. Was the X-7A made there, also?

Jon

Ray

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jon:

I just realized who you are... I just purchased some light seals from you on eBay.... (minoltaman)

Anyway The X-7A is made in Japan, It has the little gold sticker on the left side of the prisim housing, stating something like "JMC II".

Looking forward to finding the time to troubleshoot the camera. Working Third Shift, sleeping when the kids are at school, and having more than a healthy dose of chaos when they're underfoot makes it a difficult task to find the peace and quiet to do the troubleshooting. I'll let you know what I find.

Best regards,

Ray

Heath Foley

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may sound crazy but try excercising the film speed ISO dial and see if it comes to life. I had this happen to an X-700 that I picked up an eBay and after trying everything (multimeter showed power getting to PCB) I tried changing the film speed from 100 to 400 the meter came on and the shutter fired. My theroy is that that resistor strip needed excercise or maybe the indents weren't lining up with the brushes. Just something else you can try.

Regards,

Heath

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration