Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 - Meter Switch Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Lynx 14 - Meter Switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Walters

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day all from Australia

I have a Lynx 14 that works well except that the meter is always on when a battery is inserted. It seems that the battery on/off switch on the front of the camera is short circuited.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this? Is the switch accessible from the front after peeling back the leatherette?

Or am I totally off the track and there is some other reason for the problem?

Cheers

Brian
Sydney Australia

Roman Dubravsky

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Brian,

Short circuited switch is possible cause.
Here are some informations abou Lynxes repairing. Maybe it help you.

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/lynxfix.html
http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/lynx5000/lynx5000.html
http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html?repair/YashicaLynx14E/YashicaLynx14E.html~Main

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

H Brian,
the switch is accessible if you (a) remove the learherette and (b) remove the entire front panel (four screws). On its back you can see the switch which consists of a sqaure plastic block with two contacts. There is a small plastic knob that holds the chrome button of the switch in its position. Usually if the button is pushed this knob makes the contacts close, while a small spring takes the switch back to "off" position. In one of my Lynxes 14 (not 14 E, this one has a different metering system) the switch was glued together in "on" position, because the knob had come off vagabonding about in the camera body where I found it and put it back to its place.
Once the camera is open give the black cable from batt. minus to the switch incl. the soldering joints a careful inspection, as it tends to rot away even if there has never been a leaking mercury battery in the battery chamber in the bottom plate.

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again Brian,
there is only one thing you have to be careful about on reassembly, that is the release lever position, anything else will almost automatically fit in its place. Good luck with your repair, W.

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again Brian,
forgot to mention that there is only one thing you have to be careful about on reassembly, that is the release lever position, anything else will almost automatically fit in its place. Good luck with your repair, W.

Brian Walters

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Roman and Werner

Many thanks for the advice and links.

I had seem the Daniel Mitchell link previously and was able to repair the inoperative diaphragm using suggestions on that page.

This camera is now in really good condition apart from the meter so I'll definately have a go at fixing it over the next few weeks. Your advice and links have hopefully saved me from a few of the mistakes I'm almost certain to make!

Cheers

Brian

Roman Dubravsky

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to The-fastest-lens-rangefinder users club :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration