Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Super Ikonta C Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Super Ikonta C « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leslie Gilmore

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should be grateful for advice on a Super Ikonta C 531/2 problem. The rangefinder was inaccurate and the image was moving diagonally. I removed the rangefinder arm cover to investigate and found that two of the gearwheels that turn the front glass had some missing teeth. I presume that the only remedy is to replace the arm with one from a scrap camera -if I can find one. Can anyone help with the procedure for removing the arm? Many thanks, Leslie Gilmore.

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember it correctly you have to pull out the arm to the rear, i.e. towards the camera body. First remove the round front cover of the arm which is held by a center screw. Then remove the two screws which hold the top of the shaft. Now you should be able to pull out the arm. (This refers to the 6x9 Ikonta or rather to its close copy Moskva5.)

I think you can also use parts cannibalized from a Moskva (2, 4 or 5), the rangefinder mechanism seems to be identical to that of the original Ikonta.

For alignment of the rangefinder see

www.dantestella.com

In his photography section there is a description for the procedure.

Leslie

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried, Many thanks. I shall try to get hold of an old Moskva. I suppose an arm from the earlier 530/2 would also be suitable.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A usual, though not all that frequent, reason for missing teeth on the gears in Super Ikonts RF arms is that the grease in the lens helical has dried up, the lens focus has gone stiff, and someone pushed too hard on the small knurked wheel to try to focus. I was recently given a SI because all that happens when you push the knurled wheel round is a grating sound. If you try to turn the front lens element it is so stiff it hurts your fingers. I haven't had it apart yet, but I suspect the worst!

On early models there was a friction clutch to prevent damage to the teeth, but I believe this was deleted on later models because, it's said, if the lens helical got even a litle stiff,the RF went right out of adjustment, and Z-I got complaints. When you eventually get some replacement gears, check that the lens focuses smoothly before you put the arm back on.

Peter

Leslie

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter, I too thought that a stiff front element had caused the problem, but the element turns very smoothly, so I am at a loss to understand how the previous owner managed to strip the teeth. I presume he just went on turning when he should have stopped! On Winfried's suggestion, I am keeping a look out for an old Moskva. I presume a rangefinder arm from the erlier 530/2 would also be suitable. Many thanks for the information. Leslie.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration