Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Source for 46, 49mm RF hoods? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Source for 46, 49mm RF hoods? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for a 49mm rubber hood for my Vivitar 35ES. There are plenty on-line to order, but first I though I'd inquire about how or if they obstruct the RF windows such that focusing is a problem. Can anybody advise on this? Also, I'm aware that vented hoods exist, but I have yet to see any available anywhere. Does anybody know a source for these?

Thanks,

-CJ

P Laskey

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try http://thecamerahunter.com/ , they seem to have sizes of hoods that are difficult to get elsewhere. As for vented hoods, the only ones I've seen are the very expensive Leica type.
PL

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best hood for the 35ES is a hard-to-find short cylindrical one made by Minolta, designated
D49ND (engraved on the outside). Alternatively, you can buy some junky old 49mm filters, remove the glass and stack up three of the rings. The advantage of using the Minolta hood or the stacked rings is that you can continue to cap the lens with a 49mm spring-grip cap. This prevents battery drain, since there is no meter switch on the 35ES.

With persistence, you can find vented hoods, but sizing is hit and miss, and there are so many variables to the geometry that you still run the risk of an obstructed view. A good balance of shading and viewing can be achieved by taking a standard metal hood and cutting out a segment with a fine-toothed saw to provide an appropriate viewfinder sightline. (I did this for my Hi-Matic E). Since the 35ES lens has excellent coatings, I think you don't have to take extreme precautions regarding lens shading, so the stacked filter ring solution is probably your best bet.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the older Vivitar branded metal screw on hoods. They work perfectly on my Viv ES, Oly RC and Canon QL-17. They also come in just about all sizes, and take any generic plastic 52mm lens caps.

Kiron Kid

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration