Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei xf35 rangefinder vertical adju... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rollei xf35 rangefinder vertical adjustment -how? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Neal

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this has been asked before here, but I never saw an answer.

I have successfully adjusted the horizontal rf image so that it coincides at 00, but does anyone know how to adjust the vertical images so that they form one at correct focus?

I have an idea that it is to do with the angle of the front (moving) element of the vf, but I can find no way to adjust it.

Help - please!!

Regards
John

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
same camera, different name: I once did RF alignment on a Voigtländer VF 135. It was necessary to take the VF array out for vertical alignment (from underneath) which in any case is usually done before horizontal adjustment. As far as I recall the matter one has to take off the top cap; be careful: the rewind knob has to be unscrewed by means of the screw underneath the lever. Another difference to similar cameras is that thr VF has parallax compensation, so two springs have to be unhooked.
Then one can open the RF, I remember the screw in the middle is for (horizontal) alignment, the simple one on the right holds the RF array in place. I remember my method was trial and error and in comparison to other far more complex cameras it was a bit tricky to get the whole thing to working properly.

John Neal

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner,
Thanks for the info - I have a vf101 and it is completely different! I can get the top off and see the rf array. There are 2 screws - one (cross head) is inside the array, the other (slot head) is outside and seems to secure the array - is it this second one I need to undo to remove the array?
Once the rf is out of the body, do you recall how to adjust the vertical component? I know that the horizontal is the screw under the leather, below the vf window.
Thanks again,
John

Werner J. Becker

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
as I said, I did it by trial and error (and this was one of my first repair attempts); what really worries me is that you mention a screw "under the leather", which is not on my specimen. If time permits I will check that by opening mine again and find out.

John Neal

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner,

I opened up the camera and removed the vf array - there is no adjustment underneath. I have adjusted the horizontal component using the screw under the leather (just below the vf window) on the front of the camera. I cannot find any way to adjust the vertical component.

However, I noticed that this camera has had some slight damage before I got it - this has delaminated the vf glass in the top right corner of the vf window (inside) and moved the sliding lens slightly away from vertical. I cleaned up the glass and made sure that the top plate is as straight as possible and put it back together.
Now I have almost perfection in the rf spot, both horizontal & vertical.

Thanks for your thoughts, but it looks like there are some detail differences between the vf135 and the xf35.

Regards
John

Werner J. Becker

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
I have just opened the vf135: you are right about the minor differences, but they are more or less cosmetic, e.g. the finish of the body. I have found now that screw under the leather ! (This one is, as you rightly say, for horizontal alignment.)
I then took out the complete finder and I now know again: there are two blobs of (depressable)hot melted glue directly underneath the beamsplitter to give the system a basic balance (put there possibly when the finder was installed during production, it does not look improvised in any way) whereas the right screw is some sort of anchor point; the cross head screw is the one that is for vertical adjustment,as there is a small washer or shim between the body and the viewfinder housing that offers a bit of but enough play for adjustment. Fastening this screw means moving the contours of the double image down. That's all you have to do, on mine I had to screw the alignment screw down quite hard. Good luck then with your repair.

John Neal

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner,

Many thanks - I too have had to screw the silver screw down REALLY hard! I have a pretty good image now and it's fairly accurate at distances of 2 metres or more.

I can't wait to run some film through and see the results!

Regards
John

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration